'Lucky's Tale' To Be Bundled With Every Oculus Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I have no faith in Oculus. I don't see this becoming available for purchase in 2016. And lets say for some reason they did manage to get it out. There will be so few games available it'll be akin to Wii U. Many will buy, then many used system will be selling on Ebay and Craigslist. Value will plummet. Sales will begin within the first year and old stock will sit and rot. By the end of the first year, there will be no more then 20 available titles.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I have no faith in Oculus. I don't see this becoming available for purchase in 2016. And lets say for some reason they did manage to get it out. There will be so few games available it'll be akin to Wii U. Many will buy, then many used system will be selling on Ebay and Craigslist. Value will plummet. Sales will begin within the first year and old stock will sit and rot. By the end of the first year, there will be no more then 20 available titles.
Lol, do you even own a WiiU? That's actually my favorite console out of the current crop and I own all three. The only reason it failed was due to a lack of target marketing and not really showcasing the system to an audience. The current library is better than either Playstation's or Xbox's IMO. I will say as an opportunity that Nintendo should have had their main two games out at the beginning and it would have propelled it a lot more-so (Mario and Zelda).

Digmeahole

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

There are almost 20 games out now that are compatible with the rift and it has not even hit retail yet..These devices are going to change gaming forever. Have you even tried the rift or even Google cardboard for that matter? It is AmAzInG!

Digmeahole

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

There are almost 20 games out now that are compatible with the rift and it has not even hit retail yet..These devices are going to change gaming forever. Have you even tried the rift or even Google cardboard for that matter? It is AmAzInG!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The hardware is useless without content.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Definitely way off the mark there.
The hardware development is done. Oculus has said as much.
Pre-orders will start soon according to Palmer Luckey last week on twitter.

There's no reason to think VR isn't coming in 2016. 3 major players are poised to launch headsets within the first 6 months of the year.
Oculus is standing strong with Q1 -
HTC has said pre-orders start in Feb for the Vive followed by a release in April.
PSVR is slated for the first half of next year, and with the content lineup they have showed its easy to believe this to be true.

VR will certainly be slow to take off. Its not going to have a 20 million headset install base in the first year, but it will be here for the long run.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I need the actual Oculus!! NOT the alternatives, NOT some childish content. Where the heck is it?

Why? You want a half-baked product now rather than something decent later?
I dont want to pay 800$ for S6 and VR kit but i want to try VR with a few games. Is it too much to ask? I feel like they have been talking about it for sooooooooo long now, i want to try the actual thing. Why would i want half baked product.. They kickstarted it in 2012. I am just frustrated at how much time they are taking.

Yeah, new technology takes time, you might want to learn how long it takes for actual production on new technology.

We already know about Intel's CPUs for 2017, because they have them in the works, but it will take time to develop the technology necessary to produce them.

Otherwise you're being completely unrealistic.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The Kickstarter was for the developer kits so the content can be ready.
I expect to see lots of new things at CES next week and in the coming months leading up to each headset's launch.

This proprietary BS needs to stop. There's no technical reason this game couldn't run on an HTC Vive, it's just Facebook bribing devs to go exclusive. Console exclusives are bad enough, we really don't need headset exclusives.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
There may be a debate to be had about games being inclusive and not exclusive to promote the overall health of the VR ecosystem. Especially as it tries to take off and fill new space. However, it's likely this game wouldn't have existed without financial backing from Oculus, so it's totally understandable and foreseeable that they'd want it exclusive to their headset.

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Not counting non-gaming applications and services. And then there are the many small indie games projects/prototypes - Some less compelling that others I admit, but all in all there's already a wide variety of experiences to be had with the oculus.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Few people will buy two competing technologies. But having 2 rolled into 1 is what might have to happen to truly make the tech shine and own the market. What I'm referring to is a best-of-both-worlds combo between the Oculus Rift (or what it will be when scaled down in size) and the Microsoft HoloLens. Of course, at that point, we risk people not ever wanting/needing to take them off (unlike Google Glass)... more intense than the discomfort felt after the movie Avatar ended, which sent people back in to the next showing.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

VR will take however long it takes to make it right. There's no rushing something like this. VR would have failed right out the gate if Oculus and HTC weren't taking it seriously. A half assed VR experience will turn people off from the medium for another generation.

AR is still a while off. Don't expect to see any serious AR hardware for quite some time.

Also, don't expect Hololens to be something people can afford any time soon. Developer kits for Hololens are multiple thousands of dollars. This isn't going to be technology you use in the home any time soon. It will be enterprise level hardware first and then it will trickle down to consumers, but that will likely be a few years before we see that happen.

I'm not so sure about that. Here's what Microsoft are saying:

Development ready.

Microsoft HoloLens devices will begin shipping in the first quarter of 2016 to developers in the United States and Canada. We are looking for creative developers to help us build an active, dynamic community. Come build the holographic future with us.

$3,000 per device (limit of two per application)

Looks to me like serious AR hardware is just around the corner - it's just way too expensive for the consumer market at this point.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Which is exactly what I followed my statement up with.
Hololens is just around the corner, but what I mean by serious (probably not the best term) is mass adoption. Hololens will be very limited at first. Medical and education will just on this stuff, but it will take time for AR to really be something we see on a daily basis. VR will be much quicker to reach widespread adoption. AR has some catching up to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS