Lutfi's (2nd WC build) - officially first, build log.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there everyone!

first time posting Build log - so be nice if I go off topic alot.

This WC build is for rig 1:
Q9550 E0
Asus Rampage Extreme w/Supreme FX X-Fi
OCZ 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Platinum Edition
Corsair H50 modded w/ Fusion block system, dual rad w/ p/p
320GB WD Blue 16MB - OS Drive
2x500GB WD Caviar Green 32MB in Raid 0
500GB WD Blue 32MB
80GB Seagate Barracuda (pata)
Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD+/-RW
XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition 1GB DDR5
Thermaltake Spedo
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W

I know its old but its been good to me :) Took me a good amount of time to amass the knowledge and idea of parts to get. Furthermore, I had the support of Tom's hardware community regarding what to look for and how to look for them.

Rubix_1011
Sushi dragon
Homeboy
Motopsycho

So from "early planning" stages in late 2010 to "final mark up" of stuff to get in late 2011 (plus the arrival of the Aquacomputer rads :love: worldwide) here's what I'll have to get my feet wet.

oV0CGNX.png

was the initial stuff to get until I blew my bank limit and went all out for most stuff.

but ended up getting these:
1x Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity (AMS) 360 copper single circuit + D5
1x AMS res for vertical mount
1x XSPC Raystorm CPU block in black
1x Heatkiller NSB 3.0 NB block
8x DangerDen Perfect seal 1/2" barbs
1x Swiftech Radbox
2x silver kill coils
1x Copper Sulphate
20 ft of white Primochill Primoflex 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
8x Steel hose clamps
3x Scythe AP-15
3x White Bitfenix Spectre 120mm
1x White Bitfenix Spectre 200mm
1x White Bitfenix Spectre140mm
1x Lamptron FC5-V2 fan controller
1x 30g Arctic Cooling MX-2

Purchases made courtesy of
aquatuning us
frozencpu
koolertek and
performance-pcs

Yeah i know, its overwhelmingly long... thas what I meant by going all out, and I also have the option of adding GPU blocks and more rad surface area :)

here is what I have in rig 1;
fD5WNnf.jpg

as of 3 days ago, I received the tubing, rad, radbox, barbs and kill coils.

the delivered stuff on my draughting table
c2JPJyi.jpg

xfpn5Cu.jpg

bHjLkt6.jpg

Note:
I didn't go with the Compresion fittings since most people complained of issues with the compression fitting hitting against the counter sunk level since the threading is sunken. so went with perfect seals.

I've already twisted them over a pencil - but didn't take a pic of it.
xXeixNq.jpg

radbox by swiftech
G6Pabgf.jpg

comes with all the screws necessary for installation/mounting even a PCI bracket to feed upto 1/2" OD tubing - but thas useless to me :D

6lfLHIn.jpg

finally
8lszivo.jpg

the rad
O02GdDq.jpg

Last edited:

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

As Ryan pointed out you, you can not just jump to what overclock you want immediately. In his post above my last one he gave some really good info. I see several mistakes in your settings and if you do not learn why they are mistakes then you are in trouble.

This platform is not easy to learn especailly if it is the first time you have ever OCd. We both have given you some really good direction and now I feel that you need to do what we did and figure out why those settings are not stabile.

You do that and you will not need any ones help to OC!! :hello:

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

I'm goimg to enable you to see what Ryan was going to suggest to you, but be warned that those settings may and probably are not going to be stabile for your particular set up. :whistle:

Lutfij

Titan
:lol: I'll back down from my clocks :) I'm very happy with the overclock I have on 1600MHz Dimms. For now just for the sake of seeing my cooling solutions lofts, I'll IBT my 3.85 OC and see what happens :)

* I can see invisible posts :D
** word of caution noted :)

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there everyone!

Its been a very long time since I last posted here on this thread and on Tom's for that matter. I'm in the midst of wrapping some very serious family agenda's. However I do have an update to report here.

I didn't know I was featured on Thinkcomputers Case Mod Friday

link here
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/case-mod-friday-lutfis-ams/
:)

Hey! Lutfi Glad you're back! :)

Congrats on the Thinkcomputers listing!

Looks a marvelous build! :) Ry

Lutfij

Titan
Congrats on the Thinkcomputers listing!

Looks a marvelous build! :) Ry
Thanks
but Thank you ,sir ,for the continued support, feedback and criticisms...they are what makes a project move forward and worthy of attention!

*and yeas all those involved in this project need an honorary mention as well!
Thank you all.

Ry - expect a PM regarding some of my agendas progress ;) and now that my ISP has changed I no longer have that IP ban :) so I'm gonna be contributing more often hehe

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hay there this is a nice build and it has the AMS radiator on it, seem to perform well. If i have questions about them i will be asking you. first hand knowledge is always great to have. Do you have another build that used the same type of radiator?

Lutfij

Titan
Hey TM - thanks for the kind words mate. Means alot to me.

I'll be sure to be as helpful as possible and convey as much info as I can regarding your transition to a new rad like the AMS. Although I like the rads workmanship the price/performance curve is a little too steep for most peoples budgets - including mine. However I wouldn't have known anything about the rad merely from the reviews merely because they are quiet vague and primarily because the rad was in its infant stages when I purchased it meaning it was just new to the scene. The price was what kept most people away from buying one...only a handful of reviewers were able to get it.

Don't get me wrong, the AMS by Aquacomputer are amazing pieces of cooling hardware, if you do gun for them, you'd be spending the majority of your time paying attention to the attention to details. If I didn't break my bank and if If I went with a large watercooled sytem - I'd gun for another one but because I've invested myself in a SFF project, Compact Splash, I'm awaiting my cases to arrive mid-late November. Due to space constraints, I'd have to look into the PE series of rads from EK waterblocks or maybe go for the AX series of rads from XSPC if all else doesn't work out for me I could yet go for XSPC's EX rads or the XT30 rads from Alphacool.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Dont get me wrong this is not easy for me to do. the thing is i am getting older, and the only hobby i have left that will not kill me from lack of reflexes, or bad eyesight, is water cooling so all of my spare time and cash goes toward this now.

Word! :)

We may be classed as insane to some here, but we do what we enjoy doing, I know I've many times said it is an addictive hobby, but a hobby just the same, and I could be doing a lot worse things for myself than this hobby.

Maybe addiction is the wrong word it could just be an obsession, but it's fulfilling a need we have inside that few really understand! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.