[SOLVED] Lynnfield and Clarkdale

British Tanker

Prominent
Jun 17, 2021
Right now I have a i7 860 in my computer but alas it is slowly giving up on me giving more and more BSODS. so can I change my i7 to an i5 680 with integrated video they are both LGA 1156 but the i7 is Lynnfield while the i5 is a Clarkdale, so are they interchangeable?
MOTHERBOARD: Asus p7p55pd LE

Last edited:
First, I would try and narrow down the cause of your crashing. While CPUs can fail and can cause blue screens (I had this happen recently myself) there are many other culprits more likely to cause windows to crash.

What stopcodes do you get? When do these crashes happen?

If the CPU is determined to be the issue:

Clarkdale is a later generation than Lynnfield. Most lga1156 motherboards should support both generations, however you may need a bios update to add clarkdale support.

What motherboard does your computer use?

British Tanker

Prominent
Jun 17, 2021
First, I would try and narrow down the cause of your crashing. While CPUs can fail and can cause blue screens (I had this happen recently myself) there are many other culprits more likely to cause windows to crash.

What stopcodes do you get? When do these crashes happen?

If the CPU is determined to be the issue:

Clarkdale is a later generation than Lynnfield. Most lga1156 motherboards should support both generations, however you may need a bios update to add clarkdale support.

What motherboard does your computer use?
Asus p7p55pd LE. and the CPU crashes randomly. sometimes during boot, sometimes after I log in. I turned CPU usage to 60% max and now it crashes like once a day but now under load.

British Tanker

Prominent
Jun 17, 2021
^This:
My very FIRST expected culprit when it comes to BSODs is faulty RAM. Although we're talking about 13 year old CPUs here, so anything is possible.

Don't spend a lot of money on this dinosaur.
well, an i7 870 (pretty much the top dog for this board) costs 20 quid from CEX so I can't really overspend xD.
I've got 'new' Ram from an office pc that worked and tried that. still the same. I borrowed my friends ram and still Bsods..... so not the ram

Reactions: tennis2