[SOLVED] M.2 and Extrernal Enclosure Acting Crazy, I am new to this group and In Desperate Need of Some help or advice, Please...

Jul 3, 2020
I have a microsoft Surface Studio 1, which has 4 usb 3.0 connections on the back. I purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVME PCIE M.2 Drive, I also purchased an external enclosure (ASUS ROG STRIX NVME ) that fits PCIE M Key and came with USB C AND A adapter and supposed to be compatible , to my understanding my Performance would be limited to 5GB due to the limitation of USB 3.0, Sorry ahead of time I am not crazy technical, and as a photographer with huge file storage I only purchased this as temporary external storage, as I found out that the surface studio is running internally a small M.2 with a 5400 RPM drive (hybrid drive- which is not really cool considering its a $5k pricetag) I found people have been upgrading the M.2 and storage so I took a leap and purchased the EVO to eventually replace and upgrade my internal HD. Long story short, I placed it into external enclosure ASUS lights up and at first nothing happened, It didnt show up until I went to disk Management and it showed I had to partition a Drive, I am not versed in this, so I followed some random videos and finally formatted the New drive and the drive is visible and assigned the F: Drive. I have it connected to the high power USB port and shortly after My computer starts going crazy, the screen goes black and the touch screen doesn't work so I restart the sytem and its up and running. When I use the Drive if I try to transfer files to it, it shows a very slow transfer rate for a bit, then drops off and pauses and finally Disconnects all of the USB ports on the back of my computer (all EXternal Drives connected 3 SSD are cut off and reboot, I hear the audible alert and receive messages that my Drives are malfunctioning and need to be scanned for repair before data loss. IF i copy a file from the m.2 to itself it of course copies super quick to show its speed. I only figured I could use the drive for scratch disk space for photoshop to improve performance, but this all doesnt seem right? Sorry for the crazy long story, just wanted to be detailed and see if anyone could help! Thanks in advance

Solution
That a quite of Essay...

you have:
-Microsoft Surface Studio 1
-SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME
-Asus ROG Strix NVME (Case for SSD NVME)
-USB Cable C to A

Simplify what you have done:
-Reformat by following Video and get denote F:drive for the SSD(you doing correct)
-Connect High Speed USB(OK)
-Computer gone crazy afterward and Blackout
-Transfer speed from internal Storage to External SSD Unstable?
-Transfer m.2(External SSD) to Internal Storage,Faster?

Answer:
If all your Hardware was working fine before having SSD Samsung and Asus NVME Case, it will be 1 of 2 or 2 of this are not compatible too each other or to your Surface(PC).

way to try out:
-Try use the External SSD on another computer
-Try get Basic NVMe case instead Asux...

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
That a quite of Essay...

you have:
-USB Cable C to A

-Reformat by following Video and get denote F:drive for the SSD(you doing correct)

Answer:
If all your Hardware was working fine before having SSD Samsung and Asus NVME Case, it will be 1 of 2 or 2 of this are not compatible too each other or to your Surface(PC).

way to try out:
-Try get Basic NVMe case instead Asux NVMe Case or different M.2 SSD NVME to be mix as External SSD
-Try update USB Driver(is Microsoft Surface.....you going to need find third party driver or do Automatic Update)

Solution
Jul 3, 2020
That a quite of Essay...

you have:
-USB Cable C to A

Answer:

way to try out:
-Try get Basic NVMe case instead Asux NVMe Case or different M.2 SSD NVME to be mix as External SSD
-Try update USB Driver(is Microsoft Surface.....you going to need find third party driver or do Automatic Update)

Thank you for your answer. Sorry for the length. I will take your advice and try another Computer as well, Not sure why this wouldn't be compatible exactly, but I hope to figure it out. The shutdown caused Hard Drive (Other external Hard Drives to require Scanning...which 1 2TB Drive has been stuck on for the last hour, Im going to hope it is recovered or fixed whatever issues happened. Thanks again