[SOLVED] m.2 and SATA SSD setup

May 20, 2020
Hi!
Currently, I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus and an 850 EVO in my system. I have Windows and all other programs all on the 970 and the 850 is just for storage.

To get the best performance for gaming and all that, should I put Windows and programs (Office, etc..) on the 850 and games on the 970?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi!
Currently, I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus and an 850 EVO in my system. I have Windows and all other programs all on the 970 and the 850 is just for storage.

To get the best performance for gaming and all that, should I put Windows and programs (Office, etc..) on the 850 and games on the 970?

Thanks in advance!
There are actually differing opinions on this.

1. NVMe drive = OS and applications, SATA drive = games
This gets the OS which is used ALL the time on the faster drive. This also contains your applications such as Office.

2. NVMe = games, SATA = OS and applications
This gets the game level loads on the faster drive.

There probably isn't a whole lot of difference either way. I'd be inclined to leave it as is, and...
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
I would leave WIndows and all programs on the 970 as it should be faster than the 850.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi!

Thanks in advance!
There are actually differing opinions on this.

1. NVMe drive = OS and applications, SATA drive = games
This gets the OS which is used ALL the time on the faster drive. This also contains your applications such as Office.

2. NVMe = games, SATA = OS and applications
This gets the game level loads on the faster drive.

There probably isn't a whole lot of difference either way. I'd be inclined to leave it as is, and put games on the 850.

Solution