m.2 and SSDs for desktop

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Hello

I'm building a new rig and currently am planning on installing a 512GB Samsung 960 PRO NVME M.2 SSD. This will be intended for the Operating System.

For the rest of my storage space, which includes: games, video/audio projects, etc., I will be installing 3 Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSDs (3TB of storage) in raid 0.

Is this a feasible setup? What are the cons/pros?

Thanks!

Solution

SSD's get slightly faster as they get larger.

USAFRet

Titan

Major cons, very few pros.

The NVMe? Great.
3 x 850 Pro in RAID 0? Absolutely useless.

SSD's do not scale in RAID 0 performance like HDD's do. Not even a little bit.
Read this all the way through: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

Plus, the only benefit the 850 Pro has over the 850 EVO is a longer warranty. Speed is about the same.

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

What would you recommend for a storage configuration then? I want to get the best/fastest performance capabilities, while trying to keep at least 3TB of storage space minimum

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
SSDs do bring down video encoding time. Faster reads from SSD. But you have to offset that with actually moving the files to SSD. That minute you save in video encoding is easily lost in file transfers from memory card or whatever.

Looks like 2 SSDs in Raid 0 do exactly what I expect, double the read/write speed when it comes to large files. Which video is.

USAFRet

Titan

If this was a full time video editing rig, in a work environment...then the RAID 0 would probably be warranted.
For a multi use system..."games, etc", not so much.

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

This will be used as a work computer for sure. My question is: why not use RAID 0?

USAFRet

Titan

A RAID 0 is much more fragile. 1 drive loss, or the controller burps...all data across all drives is lost.
For most purposes, it provides no real speed benefit over individual SSD's.

My system has multiple SSD's, a dedicated purpose for each.
#1 = OS and applications
#2 = photo work
#3 = CAD and video
#4 = games and whatever does not fit on the others
#5 = scratch space for #2 & 3.

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

What about just one large SSD? The largest SSD I found was this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E4T0B-AM/dp/B01G844OOO

USAFRet

Titan

$1,800? More power to ya...:pt1cable:

Yes, it is good, fast, reliable. But that's a big ol chunk of change.

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

Would the price be the only downside? I wonder if performance is hindered at all because of storage size?

KHendrickson93

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I think I found what I'm looking for then lol.