[SOLVED] M.2 boot with Raids

Jan 23, 2019
I plan on booting my operating system using an M.2. drive. I also have a couple of 2tb wd blue SSDs that I would like to put in raid 0 to store all my programs and games. On top of that I have a 6tb wd black mechanical HDD that I would like to use as a back up for the SSDs. Is it possible to boot just the operating system from the M.2, boot all other programs from the SSDs which would be in Raid 0, and use the previously mentioned Raid 0 volume and the 6tb HDD volume to be used in Raid 5 for a back up?

Solution
Yes on the Boot M.2 and everything else on the SSD's in Raid0
Nope on the R0 and 6tb going into an R5 array. - R0 on the two SSD's turns them into a single drive as far as the System is concerned and you cant R5 with only 2 drives :)

Put the 6tb HDD into an removable 5.25" drive dock or an external enclosure so you can do a proper backup that gets disconnected from the PC and power. Be sure to eject the external drive, not just unplug it.

popatim

Titan
Yes on the Boot M.2 and everything else on the SSD's in Raid0
Nope on the R0 and 6tb going into an R5 array. - R0 on the two SSD's turns them into a single drive as far as the System is concerned and you cant R5 with only 2 drives :)

Put the 6tb HDD into an removable 5.25" drive dock or an external enclosure so you can do a proper backup that gets disconnected from the PC and power. Be sure to eject the external drive, not just unplug it.

Solution