M.2 can't Install Windows

Aug 26, 2018
So I'm building a new pc. Amd 2700x, Aorus x470 gaming 7, and the part I'm having trouble with Samsung 960 evo 500gb. I'm trying to put Windows 10 on it. But it will only let me run the install (from disk btw) if I turn csm off in the bios. But when it restarts after install the drive is no longer visible to bios. UNLESS I turn csm back on then it can be seen but I can't boot from it or run install again. Help?

start with putting the newest bios on the mb. if the drive is an m2 or mve drive make sure you look at the mb guild. with some drives the onboard sata ports are turned off. with new mb there are now two bios...efi and legacy make sure your mb set to efi and under boot your booting from windows 10 boot partion frist then your ssd drive as second boot device. on your windows installer it may be too old. use an 8g usb stick and from another pc use the windows media creation tool to make the newest windows iso.

Aug 26, 2018

So I've done this. It allowed me to see and install while still having csm on. But it just starts a loop. Continuosly asking to reinstall Windows. The kicker is when I tell it to install to the 960 it tells me there is an "old" install that will be archived. So it knows windows is there I just can't boot from it. The motherboard does support m.2 boot so I'm not sure what is going on

with usb or cd installl of windows using the old iso image you first have to go into advance install and remove all of the old partion. make sure there none on the hard drive if there is some of the boot files can emd up on other drives. when windows installs it get 1/2 then it have to reboot when it gets to that point you need on the older iso to pull the cd or usb stick so windows wqill boot from onboard drives and not the boot disk and try to install itself again and again in a loop.

Aug 26, 2018
I actually bought a different m.2 drive (an adata sx8200) and it works fine. Can install and boot windows. I got the Samsung to work to store games etc. But still couldn't get Windows to install or boot. So I think it's just a weird compatibility issue with windows and samsung. Or maybe with amd and samsung.