[SOLVED] M.2 cooling on Aorus Z390

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've got a 1Gb Samsung M.2 drive on my Aorus Z390, which comes with a stock cooler for the drive, however I'm still hitting temps of 60 degrees plus when gaming, and 47 with just general use.

Any suggestions on what cooling options I have for this drive / motherboard combo beyond stock? If not, would removing the adhesive from the cooler and using thermal paste help any?

Solution
I've got a 1Gb Samsung M.2 drive on my Aorus Z390, which comes with a stock cooler for the drive, however I'm still hitting temps of 60 degrees plus when gaming, and 47 with just general use.

Any suggestions on what cooling options I have for this drive / motherboard combo beyond stock? If not, would removing the adhesive from the cooler and using thermal paste help any?
Their supposed to throttle their speed if it gets to hot much like a CPU would.

On a side note I have worked on 2 PC's that the M.2 drive melted one a Samsung 970, the other a ADATA the ADATA actually melted to the heat sink the 970 just melted on part of the PCB and failed.

EDIT Samsung replaced the drive very quickly and was very interested in getting the...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Their supposed to throttle their speed if it gets to hot much like a CPU would.

On a side note I have worked on 2 PC's that the M.2 drive melted one a Samsung 970, the other a ADATA the ADATA actually melted to the heat sink the 970 just melted on part of the PCB and failed.

EDIT Samsung replaced the drive very quickly and was very interested in getting the bad drive back ASAP actually cross shipped me the new one before they had the bad one, only took a pick of it and Emailed it to them. From their response I think they were like WTcrap.

Both were installed above the video card the 970 had no heat sink and in all fairness to the ADATA it had a heat sink but the film cover was not removed from the heat sink.

Last edited:
Solution

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
OK, thanks both - so possibly just being a bit too paranoid, but maybe just look to see if one of the case fans can be repositioned. Was half thinking there would be an M.2 specific solution better than what I've got, but I've not found one which seems to suggest it's not as big a problem as I'm worried it is! :D