Question M.2 device not detected

Feb 18, 2019

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Is this a new install? If so try starting the windows install routine. The drive may show up there even though it doesn't in BIOS. That was the case with my Asus Z270 motherboard. If window is already installed on another drive boot to that then go to Start/Control panel/administrative tools/Computer management/ storage/Disk management & see if you see your drive there. If so you will need to initialize it to be able to use it in windows.

Feb 18, 2019
Is this a new install? If so try starting the windows install routine. The drive may show up there even though it doesn't in BIOS. That was the case with my Asus Z270 motherboard. If window is already installed on another drive boot to that then go to Start/Control panel/administrative tools/Computer management/ storage/Disk management & see if you see your drive there. If so you will need to initialize it to be able to use it in windows.

Unfortunately, Windows does not detect it either. Do you have any other idea? :(

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Check in bios and make sure it isn't turned off. Asus usually has the m.2 ports turned off by default. If it is, bios or windows will not recognize the drive due to the port being turned off.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Make sure when you get the new drive that you fully seat the drive in it's socket as if they are not there is a very high likely hood of non recoverable failure. I had this happen with one 32GB Optane Memory module. Fortunately I had a spare & was able to complete my 3 drive RAID 0 Optane setup.