Question M.2 Drive advice

Zotik

Commendable
Nov 10, 2021
My system was a prebuilt that I bought a few years ago. It has a gtx 1070, i7-7700k 32gb ddr4 ram(my own upgrade, a bit overkill but) and the motherboard is a z270f gaming. I'm looking into getting an m.2 drive and I have looked on crucial website and found one that is compatible with my motherboard, is there anything else that I need to take into consideration. I also have a 256gb boot ssd and a 2tb hdd in the system

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is this the motherboard you're working with? If so, please make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for said motherboard. If you have a number of updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version, taking note of any MEI firmware updates that need performing in between BIOS updates.

Also, if you're working with Windows 10, keep a bootable USB installer for the OS handy in case a cloning process goes awry. You can use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate said installer. As s side note, always backup any and/or all mission critical content from the original drive if the drive decides to croak.

Wouldn't hurt if you shared the model of the Crucial drive you're looking to purchase. Also, what storage drives are you on at the moment? Make and model of your PSU?

USAFRet

Titan
My system was a prebuilt that I bought a few years ago. It has a gtx 1070, i7-7700k 32gb ddr4 ram(my own upgrade, a bit overkill but) and the motherboard is a z270f gaming. I'm looking into getting an m.2 drive and I have looked on crucial website and found one that is compatible with my motherboard, is there anything else that I need to take into consideration. I also have a 256gb boot ssd and a 2tb hdd in the system
What specific SSD is in there now?

For a drive change, do you want one single large drive, or 2x as it is now?
Keep the current SSD and change the HDD for something else?

Zotik

Commendable
Nov 10, 2021
What specific SSD is in there now?

For a drive change, do you want one single large drive, or 2x as it is now?
Keep the current SSD and change the HDD for something else?
I'm not sure what ssd it is exactly other than its 256gb since it came with the pc, also I thought I would be able to have the new drive alongside both the the current ssd and the hdd, am I wrong in thinking that? Im not sure how much of this works. In all fairness it doesn't really need to be an m.2 ssd because it may be a bit overkill

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not sure what ssd it is exactly other than its 256gb since it came with the pc, also I thought I would be able to have the new drive alongside both the the current ssd and the hdd, am I wrong in thinking that? Im not sure how much of this works. In all fairness it doesn't really need to be an m.2 ssd because it may be a bit overkill
The easiest change would be to replace the current HDD with a 2.5" SATA III SSD. Whatever size meets your budget and need.