[SOLVED] M.2 drive heat/mounting tape?

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
I am getting an intel 1tb M.2 drive in my pc build. I am making acrylic painted covers to increase the aesthetic of my build. On the backside of my GPU ill just use mounting tape, but im worrying about heat on an M.2 drive. First PC build, I'm a newbie. Is the m.2 drive going to get too hot for just hardware-store-grade nice mounting take to hold a small piece of acrylic to it? I was planning to leave a little gap for airflow. Just let me know what I need to know/be worried about with an m.2. I have no idea.

Solution
Unless you're performing extended reads/writes to the drive, it should be fine.
If there's a problem, it will become apparent. Most (all?) NVMe drives have OTP (over-temp protection) built in. So if it's overheating, speeds will throttle. No real risk of damage.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If there's a problem, it will become apparent. Most (all?) NVMe drives have OTP (over-temp protection) built in. So if it's overheating, speeds will throttle. No real risk of damage.

Solution

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019

As dumb as it sounds... Is it gonna get hot enough to melt-ish the mounting tape?

I do mainly gaming...