Question M.2 drive maybe failing.. or something else.

May 31, 2019
I've been having an intermittent issue with my custom build PC.

COMPONENTS -
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kevinkrutsch/saved/#view=ZtKq3C

Computer will "lock up" and not allow me to click on anything. The mouse still moves, but I'm unable to change the active window, alt-tab, or get to task manager. Windows menu also doesn't work. It doesn't appear related to any single program, game, etc.

Only way I can resolve is to hard boot the PC via power button on case.

Today a video via firefox on youtube, was playing when it happened, and the video kept playing audio, but the video stopped. Eventually the computer completely locked up, as it does and I waited long enough for it to go to a black screen which still had the mouse cursor on it. I was able to move the mouse, but nothing else.

When rebooting, the M.2 drive wasn't showing up in BIOS. I powered down completely (unplugged physical cable from PSU) and literally wiggled the M.2 drive.

Powered up and it booted fine.

I'm not sure if the wiggle is what helped, or if it was the full power down, but this was interesting to me. I didn't remove the set screw, just kinda moved it in place.

The one thing I noticed is that the screw on my M.2 drive isn't "tight" against the drive itself. Do these normally have a little wiggle room? I find it odd.

Anyway, wondering if the drive is failing, or the slot on my board.. just confused at this point.

Might want to get latest RAID chipset drivers for your MB, and reinstall them....(RAID in use or not, there are still drivers for interfacing with mainboard's SATA 6 port control circuitry...)

A recent WIndows update has been dorking some Ryzen owners drive interfacing drivers with new MS-provided drivers that...<drumroll> don't work for many...

May 31, 2019
Might want to get latest RAID chipset drivers for your MB, and reinstall them....(RAID in use or not, there are still drivers for interfacing with mainboard's SATA 6 port control circuitry...)

A recent WIndows update has been dorking some Ryzen owners drive interfacing drivers with new MS-provided drivers that...<drumroll> don't work for many...

That's interesting. I'll make sure i'm totally up on that.

May 31, 2019
So here's an interesting update (and maybe I'm just going crazy) but I have had my side panel off my machine and just leaning up against it. The computer ran stable for a couple days. I put the panel back on and had a freez within minutes. Took it all apart, reseated the boot drive (it wasn't showing up in BIOS) and kept the side panel off again. Totally stable again, uptime of 11 hours (multiple sleeps and whatnot in that time).

Is it possible the side panel (which has a 120mm fan on it) is vibrating the case and causing the SSD to lock upl. I know that seems like crazy talk.. but this doesn't really feel like a coincidence.