M.2 Drive not recognized by Z270I Mobo

omar.ghosn

Reputable
May 14, 2018
Hello,
I recently purchased an M.2 500GB Sata Drive (Crucial) for my Strix Z270I mini ITX mobo.
The mobo has 2 M.2 ports...
Documentation states that the first port accepts Sata
That is where I installed it
UEFI and Device Manager neither see it...nor could I find it in Disk Management to format like some suggested

I'm at a loss as I just learned that not all M.2 drives are created equal :)
M.2 is the port type, and you have either SATA or NVME (which I believe is PCIe)

Any suggestions on how to get my mobo to recognize it or do I need a new drive?
Thank you!

Solution

cuz you have to change some settings in the Bios before installing your NVme M.2 Drive.But remember you also have to go back into the bios to change some settings back after the...

omar.ghosn

Reputable
May 14, 2018
Thank you all for your input. I finally tried a couple things and am not sure exactly which worked:
But I removed the primary drive with the OS and just booted straight to bios, no luck...but then I plugged the drive with the OS into another SATA port and booted...went into disk management and there it was, so I initialized it and now its working. Not sure why it wasnt seen by the MOBO when it was the only drive connected but it now works
I'm assuming plugging in the primary drive to another SATA port is what did it but that was not clear anywhere
Thanks

May 11, 2018

cuz you have to change some settings in the Bios before installing your NVme M.2 Drive.But remember you also have to go back into the bios to change some settings back after the installation is complete.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS