Question M.2 Drive recognized in BIOS, but not by Windows

Jan 10, 2020
I know what you're thinking: Sir, you have to open up device manager and initialize it.

The problem is, it doesn't appear there either. I currently have it plugged into the M.2 slot directly above the PCI slot with my video card, but my Mobo manual says nothing about PCI SSDs conflicting with other PCI ports (only SATA). I'm not trying to boot with it, I just want to use it as storage. The exact model number is not listed on the supported M.2 drives for this mobo, but by all accounts it should (in theory) work, if the "Ultra M.2" slot accepts PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 drives, right? The drive is recognized in BIOS.

Mobo: ASUS Z370 Killer sli/ac
CPU: Intel i-7 8700K
Video Card: RTX 2080 Ti
SSD_1: Samsung SATA 512GB 2.5" (Boot)
SSD_2: Intel 660p NVMe 1TB 3.0 x4 PCIe (SSPDEKNW010T8) <-- problem drive
HDD_1: Asus 512GB SATA
RAM: 2x 16GB

ISSUE RESOLVED:
Apparently I needed to go to intel's website and download their SSD driver for the SSD I purchased.
As I was using Win 7, SP1, I also needed to install a windows hotfix (Windows6.1-KB2637518-v2-x64.msu)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
does it show up in device manager?
It does not show up in Device Manager under Disk Drives. There is a list of PCI devices under "Other Devices" but none of them sound too promising:
PCI DATA Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
PCI Device
PCI Device
PCI Memory Controller
PCI Simple Comm Controller
SM Buss Controller
USB Controller

Jan 10, 2020
bios version?
windows 7? might be don't have the driver
Version P1.00

Is it a driver I can get for Win 7? I've seen people get M.2 drives to work on Windows 7 anyway...
EDIT:
Might be a driver issue. Contacted MS Support and they provided me a link to a hotfix but it's still not showing up... will continue to investigate possible driver issues

EDIT2:
Issue solved, see original post with updated info

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS