[SOLVED] m.2 enclosure and compatibility

May 1, 2021
Hello dear members.
MY question is :
If i got a drive that isn't compatible with my laptop (its a samung 970 evo plus 500mb and my laptop apparently is only compatible with very few drives,
Will it work if i get an enclosure for it ? My intuition tells me the enclosure will be plug and play and work its firmware somehow with no installation needs (?)
So I am guessing that the pc will see the enclosure as a "usb drive" not a ssd m.2 thing?

I am confused and insecure cause I lost 2 days ( not to mention the days before preparing a system image) just because Asus support could only tell me that the laptop only can handle a select few drives (all rare and old i think) after i told them i had bought a not compatible one...when last coms they gave me info that i just needed a pci 3.0 with max 512 gb and nvme would work...bleh. I love my laptop but well guess this thread just gained a surprise content ... was trying to be short and concise. sorry
all the best.

Solution
M.2 is the socket type. Then you have 2 types of drive, NVMe and SATA. The pcie 3.0 or 4.0 does not matter, 4.0 is backwards compatible with 3.0. If they say your laptop supports NVMe there is no reason the 970 evo shoul not work. However if your laptop only supports SATA that would explain it. Therefore what you have been told and saying here does make complete sense. What exact laptop model do you have? What happens when you install the NVMe? Did you just add a drive or did you remove an old drive?
M.2 is the socket type. Then you have 2 types of drive, NVMe and SATA. The pcie 3.0 or 4.0 does not matter, 4.0 is backwards compatible with 3.0. If they say your laptop supports NVMe there is no reason the 970 evo shoul not work. However if your laptop only supports SATA that would explain it. Therefore what you have been told and saying here does make complete sense. What exact laptop model do you have? What happens when you install the NVMe? Did you just add a drive or did you remove an old drive?

Solution
May 1, 2021
Your reasoning is my own, but apparently its not how it goes. I would spend tons of your time if I would explain all steps i tried , all processes i tried.
The laptop is so limited in compatibility that one of those processes was to get a new hdd so I could use a 2nd drive to help (yes was tryng 1 drive to drive replacement ( that hdd...exactly same thing, not on the list, didnt work.) and with not working , I mean same as m.2 evo, no way bios could see it , with all sorts of bios configs , usb boot ,same , cd boot , same...
where can i upload the picture of the list to show in link?
and for you to see how i think or thought like you, the list has a single nvme drive of 512 , all rest is 256 or 128, it was cause of that drive that i bought the samsung , after confirming in another useless email with them - "so i can get a pci 3 nvme as long as its 512 max? , yes you can , then apparently no I couldnt.
the said drive is - mzvpv512hdgl by samsung too its pci 3 nvme 512...

May 1, 2021
Looking up the motherboard I believe the M.2 slot only supports SATA and not NVMe which explains why it didn’t work.

There are lots of external M.2 NVMe caddies that connect via USB. There is nothing special to look for except that it must be NVMe.
Ah cool ty! so if we assume drive really isnt compatible with laptop the caddy will make it compatible and be a simple usb plug and play?

ps list is top you will find the said nvme there in bottom a single one.
which reminds me, i mentioned in 1st post, hdd was the same , wouldnt hdd even be more compatible and easier? and they said exactly same , only ones on list

Ah cool ty! so if we assume drive really isnt compatible with laptop the caddy will make it compatible and be a simple usb plug and play?

ps list is top you will find the said nvme there in bottom a single one.
which reminds me, i mentioned in 1st post, hdd was the same , wouldnt hdd even be more compatible and easier? and they said exactly same , only ones on list
A caddy will make the drive work but it’s limited to USB speeds.

A HDD would be a completely different socket in the 2.5” bay that is also SATA. This is next to the M.2 socket area on the motherboard. As long as you have the right type of supported drive (SATA M.2 and not NVMe M.2) there really is no reason for there to be any compatibly issues.

May 1, 2021
A caddy will make the drive work but it’s limited to USB speeds.

A HDD would be a completely different socket in the 2.5” bay that is also SATA. This is next to the M.2 socket area on the motherboard. As long as you have the right type of supported drive (SATA M.2 and not NVMe M.2) there really is no reason for there to be any compatibly issues.

See? Then why the hell? why would a laptop just be limited to those 5 or 6 hdd on that list? and worst why would asus support be so hard to help , so many emails to be sure i could be the right drives , then only when i finally call them telling them i got 2 drives and none was working after 2 days work, they say only ones in list...im just so puzzled and headshaken you see? and your obviously a veteran and your confirming my reasoning , what the heck...

See? Then why the hell? why would a laptop just be limited to those 5 or 6 hdd on that list? and worst why would asus support be so hard to help , so many emails to be sure i could be the right drives , then only when i finally call them telling them i got 2 drives and none was working after 2 days work, they say only ones in list...im just so puzzled and headshaken you see? and your obviously a veteran and your confirming my reasoning , what the heck...
I cannot explain ASUS’s reasoning apart from someone reading from a script that just says if it’s not on the list we don’t support regardless of if there is a technical reason or not. I’ve never come across any need for compatibly lists for these types of drives. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve never heard of such a thing.

May 1, 2021
I cannot explain ASUS’s reasoning apart from someone reading from a script that just says if it’s not on the list we don’t support regardless of if there is a technical reason or not. I’ve never come across any need for compatibly lists for these types of drives. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve never heard of such a thing.
My intuition too. So where couuld i have been wrong?
in the ahci mode in bios , that is the only option - ahci
tried with csm on and off, secure boot on and off , legacy on and off, win 10 boot and disk image , didnt find driver , samsung firmware linux util thing, doesnt find drive . usb boot , same, tried win fresh win install , nada. then hdd, all the same.

My intuition too. So where couuld i have been wrong?
in the ahci mode in bios , that is the only option - ahci
tried with csm on and off, secure boot on and off , legacy on and off, win 10 boot and disk image , didnt find driver , samsung firmware linux util thing, doesnt find drive . usb boot , same, tried win fresh win install , nada. then hdd, all the same.
As I mentioned, it looks like only M.2 SATA is supported and not NVMe and that drive is NVMe. This won’t matter if you use a USB enclosure but you will need to make sure the enclosure is for NVMe drives.

May 1, 2021
the hdd that i also bought is a sata 6gb 1tb 2.5 5400 rpm 128mb cache seagate barracuda.
didn't work as well.
the supposed list has a nvme mzvpv512hdgl on it wghich asus mentions since start of comms and u can see it even on asus repair site for pieces of their machines at outrageous prices, its an nvme, and the hdd is a sata , neither work. you see the conundrum?

and ty for reply on enclosure if until monday i find no other trick to try or inspiration and energy for it ill give the hdd back for an enclosure to put the m.2 on , i really need a drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Q: What do you use this laptop for?

In the grand scheme of things, there really isn't a lot of difference between a SATA III SSD and NVMe SSD.
Especially on an older laptop.

Just get a good 2.5" SATA III, and replace the existing HDD.
Drop in replacement that WILL work. No caddy needed.

May 1, 2021
Q: What do you use this laptop for?

In the grand scheme of things, there really isn't a lot of difference between a SATA III SSD and NVMe SSD.
Especially on an older laptop.

Just get a good 2.5" SATA III, and replace the existing HDD.
Drop in replacement that WILL work. No caddy needed.
Well I use for music production thats why some speed on drive is welcome nad the more silent drives the better too.
About your suggestion , do you see that at this point I am becoming hardwired to believe in asus and their list plot thing? , cause i bought 2 drives and neither worked...im really highly frustrated atm , and the shop i got drives from is only open monday...bleh
sorry and thank you though, you guys being great! <3 sorry if im grumpy

Hello dear members.
MY question is :
If i got a drive that isn't compatible with my laptop (its a samung 970 evo plus 500mb and my laptop apparently is only compatible with very few drives,
Will it work if i get an enclosure for it ? My intuition tells me the enclosure will be plug and play and work its firmware somehow with no installation needs (?)
So I am guessing that the pc will see the enclosure as a "usb drive" not a ssd m.2 thing?

I am confused and insecure cause I lost 2 days ( not to mention the days before preparing a system image) just because Asus support could only tell me that the laptop only can handle a select few drives (all rare and old i think) after i told them i had bought a not compatible one...when last coms they gave me info that i just needed a pci 3.0 with max 512 gb and nvme would work...bleh. I love my laptop but well guess this thread just gained a surprise content ... was trying to be short and concise. sorry
all the best.
Enclosure.
https://www.newegg.com/orico-tcm2-c...ure-_-0VN-0003-001D8-_-Product&quicklink=true

Connect via usb.....should work.