M.2 Failure or motherboard?

gwizzybear

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
I have an adata m.2 sp900 ssd that had my OS on it. It is connected via my motherboard (gigabyte GA z170m-d3h). The SSD or slot on the motherboard spontaneously failed because my computer wouldn't boot. The SSD is not recognized in the BIOS or on knoppix (run from usb). I have tried disconnecting it and re-seating it in the motherboard, still nothing. I would like to try to connect the m.2 to another sata slot or PCI slot, but I don't have an an adapter and not sure which one would work with my m.2. Please help!

gwizzybear

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Can someone help me select the right sata adapter to purchase, I don't have one and I am somewhat noobish with m.2 sata compatability... Also is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

gwizzybear

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

You are probably right, but in the current slot the m.2 is not recognized and I need an adapter to find out if the problem is the m.2 or the motherboard slot.

gwizzybear

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

I can't see the slot in the BIOS either, I am hoping it is the slot on the motherboard. The m.2 was the boot drive for the last 13 months, and stopped working abruptly, so the BIOS used to detect it and now it doesn't

Jim90

Distinguished
As Barty1884 said:
In case e.g. your BIOS settings have been changed (without you knowing e.g. overclock failure):
You need to look at your motherboard manual - it will tell you exactly how the m.2 interface interacts with the motherboard PCIe lanes and whether, for example, the m.2 interface is affected by other devices sharing the same lanes. The manual should also clearly point you to how the various BIOS settings change the m.2's behaviour.

Then check how your various BIOS settings affect the operation of the m.2 interface. This should be clearly detailed in the manual and BIOS pages/tabs.

gwizzybear

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
"Basically, what it comes down to is that even if a M.2 drive physically fits into a M.2 socket, you also need to make sure that the M.2 socket supports the type of M.2 drive you have. In truth, the only time a M.2 drive shouldn't work at all even through the keying matches is if you try to use a M.2 SATA drive in a M.2 PCI-E only socket."

It looks like everything on the market is for pci-e. I can't find an adapter for my sata interfaced m.2

Feb 10, 2019
Did you even figure this out? I'm having the same exact problem. I followed all steps from Asus support but still don't have a solution. I even booted windows on a different SSD to see if I can find and install the Samsung driver but the device isn't detectable unless I reset my CMOS. When I run the Samsung software to detect drive I get DPC Watchdog Violation Error screen. When windows boots again the drive is gone and I'll have to reset CMOS again. It's really frustrating.