m.2 fitment issue

naziz5884

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I bought an used pc that came with MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC motherboard. I want to get rid of 2.5" ssd and go with just m.2 ssd for cleanliness and speed reasons. This motherboard is advertised to support 2242 and 2260 ssd which are 42mm and 60mm. But there is enough room to fit 2280 ssd without running into anything including the backplate for the cpu cooler. So the question is is it possible to insert the m.2 ssd then put a piece of tape to hold it from wiggle since there is no screw whole for 2280. I am confused too as of why they did not include a screwhole for 2280 with enough room being on the motherboard. Thanks!

Solution
yeah it will be fine, just make sure the SSD do not touch the metal case - you can use some thermal pad between the SSD and the case.
and be careful when you slide the MB into place.
the answer to the last question is simple - it's MSI one of the worst manufacturers out there. they invested a lot of money in marketing during past decade to pretend top tier vendor. they never were and probably will never be top tier as their engineering and QC is not even close to what it should be for the true top tier vendor (like asus and sometimes GB). Practically it means that they didn't want to reroute the lanes on MB PCB to make space for mounting hole.
your plan not to screw the SSD will work. just be careful when using tape. SSD controller can go past 70C and other components on the MB can go past 100C

naziz5884

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for the response man! That makes sense that they needed to reroute the pcb lanes and it will cost them more. I was concerned about temperatures as well. Do you by chance have any idea if there is any adhesive material that can withstand around 70-100C? If not is it unsafe to just lay the motherboard down since the wall of the case will push it flat with the back of the mobo? Thanks!