[SOLVED] m.2 heat sink close to passive component

Bravepills

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi all, my m.2 gets blazing hot due to being below my gpu.

I fit a heat sink to it and it's worked a charm, knocked 20°C off!

Now my paranoia has kicked in.

The m.2 is raised as there are a couple of passive components underneath (a resistor or capacitor metal looking cylinder). With the heat sink on it is not touching the components (I passed paper underneath no problem) and with a multimeter it seems the heat sink has a non conductive paint finish. Seems ok, PC works fine but I'm wondering if I should put some electrical tape or thermal tape (if it fits) in between just in case.........or am I just paranoid!

Solution
There shouldn't be any electricity on the NVME heat-sink but if you are worried, you can put a small piece of tape on the heat-sink (the area that hovers on the capacitor).

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hi all, my m.2 gets blazing hot due to being below my gpu.

I fit a heat sink to it and it's worked a charm, knocked 20°C off!

Now my paranoia has kicked in.

The m.2 is raised as there are a couple of passive components underneath (a resistor or capacitor metal looking cylinder). With the heat sink on it is not touching the components (I passed paper underneath no problem) and with a multimeter it seems the heat sink has a non conductive paint finish. Seems ok, PC works fine but I'm wondering if I should put some electrical tape or thermal tape (if it fits) in between just in case.........or am I just paranoid!

There shouldn't be any electricity on the NVME heat-sink but if you are worried, you can put a small piece of tape on the heat-sink (the area that hovers on the capacitor).

Yeah, I myself have used thermal paste and thermal tape for isolating sketch installations from possible short. It's not conformal coating, per se, but much safer than metal-on-metal. I remember attaching thermal tapes on standoffs that were attached to the motherboard, but no mounting on the case just to be extra safe.

Bravepills

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Yeah, I myself have used thermal paste and thermal tape for isolating sketch installations from possible short. It's not conformal coating, per se, but much safer than metal-on-metal. I remember attaching thermal tapes on standoffs that were attached to the motherboard, but no mounting on the case just to be extra safe.
I tested the component, the outer shell of that passive component is grounded, tested for continuity with a multimeter, so the heatsink is fine. So basically even if the heat sink does touch the component (which is doesn't) it his hitting ground, and so is the component.

Thanks for the replies