M.2 Interface question

LifeOfO7623

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
I'm slowly buying up parts for a new build and the motherboard I'm looking at, the MSI Z97A Gaming 9 ACK (http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97A-GAMING-9-ACK.html#hero-overview) has M.2 built into it. I've found lots of information about how it interfaces with the system (I.E. basically it's a direct PCIe connection to the board so say some). What I'm looking to find out is if it'll interfere with my graphics card I'm going to put in (still thinking, likely a Titan X). I've read that the M.2 can use multiple PCIe lanes etc, but I'm just not literate enough on the subject to glean the answers I'm looking for.

The SSD I'm looking at is the Samsung XP941 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147349).

If my question made any sense whatsoever and anybody has some feedback I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Solution
one caution on the Samsung XP941 that i wish i'd been aware of before buying the one i've been trying to get running as a boot drive for close to 10 days now. The xp941 is currently only sold by samsung as an "OEM" SSD to mfgrs, so it's shipped with no OPROM pre-installed.

Not having an oprom pre-installed is a headache to get up and running, and that's what i'm going thru - check my post from yesterday at http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2601574/expansion-card-rampage-extreme-options.html

from various threads around the internet, the only mfgr worse than ASUS in terms of xp941 support or "useability" is MSI, so you might want to consider one of the other M.2 SSD mfgrs, plextor etc all are sold as "retail" units and have oprom...
one caution on the Samsung XP941 that i wish i'd been aware of before buying the one i've been trying to get running as a boot drive for close to 10 days now. The xp941 is currently only sold by samsung as an "OEM" SSD to mfgrs, so it's shipped with no OPROM pre-installed.

Not having an oprom pre-installed is a headache to get up and running, and that's what i'm going thru - check my post from yesterday at http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2601574/expansion-card-rampage-extreme-options.html

from various threads around the internet, the only mfgr worse than ASUS in terms of xp941 support or "useability" is MSI, so you might want to consider one of the other M.2 SSD mfgrs, plextor etc all are sold as "retail" units and have oprom pre-installed and are much easier to get up and running

in the above linked post there are two or three good links to read about the issues folks are having and the various solutions posters have used successfully - what's interesting & confusing is you'll see solutions, in terms of BIOS settings, that are absolutely in contradiction of each other.

In that post I had indicated i had thrown in the towel on getting my xp941 up and running as a boot drive and this morning one of the moderators on the ASUS forums threw me another set of instructions that i will try later on today - but i'll be frank, if i wasn't invested in this with so much time and effort, i'd wouldn't go this route - i've got at least 20+ hours, researching and reading literally till my eyes are bleeding.

I figured if it didn't work as a boot device, i'd just use it as a storage drive for video files, and at nearly twice the price per GB it would be an expensive one - the one part i hadn't allowed for is that using it as a storage drive is expensive in another aspect - using the M.2 socket for a SSD kills two Sata Ports - most of the mfgrs describe the M.2 socket as "sharing bandwidth" with (in my case) sata ports 5 & 6. Technically that is correct, and my assumption was hopefully thinking that meant when i would be using a drive connected to either sata 5 or 6 it would probably slow down the M.2 drive - nope, if there's a M.2 SSD connected, for it to run, you have to, in your BIOS, kill off or disconnect sata 5 & 6 - again, this is detailed in the long post in the above linked thread. But factoring the "expense" of loosing two sata ports, or loosing a total of one drive potential, is too expensive.

if MSI describes your M.2 socket as 2 lane or "x2" then in all likelihood you'll be facing the same expense. Dropping my boot time from 20-22 seconds to 10-12 seconds would have been nice, but it would have been smarter to have waited until the M.2 SSD market had matured a little bit more.

If you're not married to MSI, ASRock has been the only mobo mfgr to step up to the plate and revise their BIOSs to make installing the samsung xp941 a lot easier. Read the above linked post and check the links to "The SSD Guy" and Ramcity's threads

Solution

LifeOfO7623

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

Thanks so much for the feedback. I looked over it all and fortunately I'm not committed to any hardware outside of my case yet but I'm thinking I'll just buy two 2.5 SSDs and run them in raid 0. It ultimately is a little more pricey an option but it seems so much simpler.

TRENDING THREADS