[SOLVED] M.2 load times slow / low CrystalDiskMark score, plus SSD problem

D_Valentine

Honorable
Dec 22, 2015
Hello, so there are two parts to this. And thanks in advance for any help as I am very tired of this!

TL:DR - i5 6500, gtx 970, Asrock z170 k6 motherboard, 16GB ram - Sabrent M.2 giving slower load times than SSD - any ideas?

Part 1:
The last 2 days, about a month after a fresh install of Windows 10 and a huge clear out of data and unnecessary programs, my system started having BSOD from Critical Process Died, leading to "insert bootable media" screen. Intermittently my C drive (SanDisk 250GB SSD) would decide to work, for about 30 mins, before freezing the desktop and crashing in the same way. In UEFI the drive would be missing. In the little time I had when the drive would work, I ran disk scans, Kapersky, sfc scan, WD's own diagnostic software - all finding no issues, but eventually always crashing. I also did a system restore to the only point I had created considering this install was under a month old. After swapping SATA cables around and trying different ports it was clear the problem wasn't the ports, or the cables, but probably the SSD. Only other issue was my IP address kept disappearing (wouldn't connect to internet via ethernet but would via wifi), and Chrome stopped working, which I thought suggested some kind of infection but I couldn't track anything down with Kapersky / Malwarebytes. Any insight here would be grand...

Part 2: Giving up on the SSD, I decided to grab my first upgrade in 5 years which would be the now very reasonably priced M.2 storage... So I double check my board, yes it's got PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe support and a slot for it. I get a Sabrent 512GB M.2, and slap it in today, as promised Windows installed super quickly on it and I was on the desktop within 7 mins. I run CrystalDiskMark to see those big numbers, but I only get 500 - 800 MB/s Read and Write speeds, pretty far off 3000 MB/s as advertised but I figured it had something to do with the caching (?) process, still, underwhelming as most reviews had screenshots of 3000MB/s. But whatever, I think, it's still faster than the 300 ish I benchmarked my SSD at, as part of my diagnosis process. As long as it worked and was faster even if it wasn't 10x as fast. Well, the problem is, it's taking longer to load past BIOS screen than my SSD. So this is a fresh install, before I've set anything up, and it's taking 30s to load in once I'm past the Asrock logo, spinning a loading sign at me that I usually don't see. What's going on? Before the SSD problems I would load in quickly enough for me not to notice. This is drastically longer. I have reseated the M.2 card and double checked my motherboard specs. Sabrent don't offer any NVMe drivers as far as I can tell, the only download on their website is for changing the sector size, which I admit, I don't really know what that's for.

Finally, the troubled SSD is now always appearing in my drives list. It still won't boot, but I can see it now that I had to move it out of SATA3_0 / SATA3_1, as the M.2 shares lanes with this on this particular motherboard. Is it possible that whole area of my motherboard is causing the problems? I have run several CDM tests and it's consistently churning out the same numbers. In my initial tests I was swapping it to SATA3_1 and putting a HDD on 0... The HDD would show up but not the SSD. But now it's showing up every time.

I'm so tired of this lol having already done a fresh install last month I was hoping to not have to do one again for a while.

Thanks again for any advice
M.2 drive

Solution
Nope, I timed it just in case, pretty much the same. I've double checked, the BIOS definitely updated - from 2015 version to 2018 (latest).

Scratch that CDM is reporting 3000+ read / write (thanks!), but start up is still super slow?
If CDM is showing rational drive speed on this Sabrent, your startup being slow is a whole other thing.

D_Valentine

Honorable
Dec 22, 2015
Nope, I timed it just in case, pretty much the same. I've double checked, the BIOS definitely updated - from 2015 version to 2018 (latest).

Scratch that CDM is reporting 3000+ read / write (thanks!), but start up is still super slow?