Question M.2 multiple drive advice

Lurgi

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Hey guys, just looking for some advice on my drives as I upgrade a few pieces today.

I've got a few upgrades today and looking to get it all switched out, now I have multiple M.2 drives to utilize;

I currently have the 970 Evo Plus 1TB installed in my current system.
I have an 970 EVO 500GB not currently being used (from last build)
A brand new 980 PRO 2TB that I just picked up in the Black Friday Deals.

Now would it be better for my operating system to be installed alone on the 970 Evo 500GB and use the other two for main storage for applications and games?

Or is M.2 good enough these days that i'll see next to no difference regardless of it having it's own drive or not.

If i'll see no benefits of a seperate drive for it, I was just going to do a clean install on the 980 PRO and add the two other drives later.

(My new motherboard supports PCIe 4.0)

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
In a blind test, it is unlikely you would be able to tell which is which.

I prefer individual drives.
1 for the OS and applications, others for other things (games, etc)

Other people prefer a single large drive.

With that selection, performance will be the same either way you go.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i also prefer multiple separate drives. OS and main apps on one, games and such on another. data on a third, vm's on another and i even have a couple slack drives for video/audio editing and other random needs for slack disposable space.

if a drive fails i won't lose as much this way. a single large drive is fun but a failure loses everything all at once. harder to "accidentally delete my data partition" and many of the other mistakes people make a lot as well when playing with a single large drive structure.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS