[SOLVED] M.2 not found

Mar 15, 2022
Recently I had to update my setup and bought a ryzen 5 5600x and ASUS Tuf b550m Plus motherboard. I already had a corsair m.2 (Force Series™ MP510 480GB M.2 SSD PCIE 3.0). Initially I had plugged my M2 into the M2_1 slot (PCIE 4.0). However, when installing windows, several crashes (BSODs) occurred. I noticed that my card had a second M.2 slot for PCIE 3.0 (Similar to my SSD). But after putting the M.2 SSD in this second slot, it stopped showing up in the BIOS (as if it wasn't recognized).

Currently I ended up installing windows on an old SSD of mine (no more crashes). I believe it could have been the incompatibility of the CPU with the SSD with PCIE 3.0 in the PCI Slot 4.0 of the motherboard, but I don't know how to correctly install this M.2 (Which of the two slots, if I need to change something else in the BIOS ). I've read the motherboard specs but I can't come to a conclusion.

Thank you in advance for your attention

Solution
There is no restriction of any kind for second M.2 slot on this board so the drive should work straight away, no BIOS changes necessary. If it does not then it's either a problem with drive or the motherboard.
Mar 15, 2022
I see, it really is weird. A doubt, the M.2 that I have that is PCIE 3.0 should work in the PCIE 4.0 slot? Well, when I was in that slot it generated several crashes in windows. And in the secondary M.2 slot it doesn't even recognize it in the BIOS.

Has anyone with a similar setup ever had this problem? For example the new 5000 series of Ryzen CPUs with an M.2 gen3 ssd?

My BIOS version is 2604

A doubt, the M.2 that I have that is PCIE 3.0 should work in the PCIE 4.0 slot?
Yes, PCIe is fully backward compatible. You can use 3.0 drive in 4.0 slot or 4.0 drive in 3.0 slot, no problem.
Well, when I was in that slot it generated several crashes in windows.
That could also mean drive problem or motherboard problem. Or something as trivial as drive not having good enough contact with M.2 header.

Mar 15, 2022
In your opinion, the best thing would be for me to go back and plug the SSD m2 into Slot M2_1 (PCIE 4) and check the drivers to avoid crashes in windows or try to find out why it's not listed in the BIOS/Windows when it's plugged into the M2_2 slot?

Currently, in the BIOS settings, everything is set to the default value AUTO (M2_1 Link Mode, M2_2 Link Mode) etc.

go back and plug the SSD m2 into Slot M2_1 (PCIE 4) and check the drivers to avoid crashes in windows
Sure thing, do that. You can try setting M.2_1 Link mode from auto to Gen 3, it might help.
try to find out why it's not listed in the BIOS/Windows when it's plugged into the M2_2 slot
Well, there's not much you can do with that, just check out if the drive was properly seated in the slot. Btw I don't see Link mode option for second slot in manual? If it's there you can also try to change it from Auto to Gen 3.

Mar 15, 2022
Well something happened to my M2, because now it is not even recognized in the M2_1 slot, I looked in the BIOS and it is not being listed. I tried to unplug the other SATA cables and leave only the M2 active, but it still didn't list and I couldn't boot from it. Could it be that there was some kind of drive problem? Even trying to reformat Windows it doesn't appear to be chosen. I ran diskpart and it is not showing the M2 either.

It's really hard to understand what's going on =( . I think I'll buy a M.2 Gen4 SSD as a last resort.