[SOLVED] M.2 NVMe 30 seconds boot time on fresh Windows 10 install. Cannot boot at all without the HDD

leetz0rR_

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
So i'm running Crucial p1 500GB NVMe SSD and a WD Blue 7200 rpm HDD. Boot times are between 26 and 30 seconds (measured from pressing the power button until the wallpaper appears, there are another 5 to 10 seconds of loading the startup programs). Compared to my old rig that had a Samsung SATA SSD it's way slower when it's supposed to actually beat it. All that on fresh windows installs (actually tried reinstalling it).
Few things i tried that make me think the windows is installed on the HDD, despite me selecting the SSD during the installation process:
-tried different SATA port for the HDD in case it shares bandwidth but nothing changed
-enabling Fast boot from bios - windows won't even boot, stops after post with message "insert boot media and press any key"; didn't even bother with Ultra fast boot
-disable CMS - after leaving bios the pc restarts and enters bios again with all boot drives disappeared from the boot priority list
-physically disconnected the HDD sata cable and tried to power up - same "insert boot media" message
-ran some benchmarks and both drives seem to be ok.
Also noticed Windows detects the HDD as removable (like a USB flash drive).
Is it safe to say that windows installed some valuable boot stuff on the HDD? If so how do can i tell? I`m sure i selected the SSD for when it asked during the install process and also there isn't a single file or folder on the HDD (not even hidden ones). Can i reinstall or move the boot to the SSD without formatting everything or the only option is to wipe it all and just disconnect the HDD during the installation?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sys specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 Mhz CL 16 2x8GB (Running at 3133Mhz currently)
SSD/HDD: Crucial p1 500GB NVMe SSD + WD Blue 7200 rpm 1TB HDD
GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 2070s Gaming OC
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 650W
Chassis: Deepcool Matrexx 70

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah i guess i will do this.
So idk how i dodged the bullet with my old PC but i really never heard of this issue. Does it apply to anything you want to put on the SSD or just the OS?

Just Windows. It used to be way worse, but sometimes it puts the bootloader in the wrong place if the wrong boot drive is selected, no matter what drive you're installing Windows to.

It's best just to do it the right way, which eliminates it as a source of the problem. Because that's all diagnosing a PC really is: eliminating the likely sources of a problem until you find the one that resolves the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
We will need more information. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the version of Windows 10 that you're working with. Also make sure that your BIOS is on the latest version for your motherboard.

You shouldn't have an issue with Fast Boot. Also, when installing the OS, did you disconnect the HDD so you didn't accidentally install the OS onto said HDD?

Your primary boot device should be Windows Boot Manager, not the SSD or HDD, mind you withing BIOS's boot device priority.

DSzymborski

Titan
No, I'd do a full wipe and install; there's a reason that it's recommended to have all additional drives disconnected when installing Windows! Do it right once instead of figuring out which fidgety way to find things on the hard drive and move them to the SSD.

leetz0rR_

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
We will need more information. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the version of Windows 10 that you're working with. Also make sure that your BIOS is on the latest version for your motherboard.

You shouldn't have an issue with Fast Boot. Also, when installing the OS, did you disconnect the HDD so you didn't accidentally install the OS onto said HDD?

Your primary boot device should be Windows Boot Manager, not the SSD or HDD, mind you withing BIOS's boot device priority.

I edited the Sys specs in the original post.
I did update the bios to the latest version when i was trying to make my RAM work on 3200 MHz (it didn't help)
I did not disconnect the HDD when installing the device. My old PC had an SSD + HDD and i didn't have any problems when installing windows to the selected drive so i didn't really think this might be an issue.
I will double check in a second but i`m pretty sure i dont have Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS boot device priority. Just the two drives.

leetz0rR_

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
No, I'd do a full wipe and install; there's a reason that it's recommended to have all additional drives disconnected when installing Windows! Do it right once instead of figuring out which fidgety way to find things on the hard drive and move them to the SSD.
So idk how i dodged the bullet with my old PC but i really never heard of this issue. Does it apply to anything you want to put on the SSD or just the OS?

DSzymborski

Titan

Just Windows. It used to be way worse, but sometimes it puts the bootloader in the wrong place if the wrong boot drive is selected, no matter what drive you're installing Windows to.

It's best just to do it the right way, which eliminates it as a source of the problem. Because that's all diagnosing a PC really is: eliminating the likely sources of a problem until you find the one that resolves the issue.

Solution
Jan 7, 2020
I just had this same issue with my build. Loaded windows on a 1 TB Aorus PCI-E 4.0 NVME SSD. Disconnecting the SATA drives during windows install put the boot manager in the right place, however my boot time still isn't all that great. 18 seconds from push of power button until in windows. It's no faster than my previous build and booting from a SATA SSD drive. I put the NVME drive in the 3rd PCI-E M.2 port to give it some gap from the graphics card and the heat that can produce. That port shares the SATA bus with ports 4/5 but I don't have anything using those ports. Shouldn't the new drive be faster than a 2 year old SATA SSD?