Question M.2 NVMe crashing my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2021
Hi,

I've got a new WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe with heatsink and while it works fine and has the expected speeds I seem to have a issue where my computer just randomly shuts down as if it lost power, it did it 4 times within a period of 5 hours. I don't have Windows 10 installed on it (yet, it's currently on a different SATA SSD) and on all occasions that my PC shutdown it was when GTA 5/FiveM was open (it doesnt happen at a specific time, it just randomly does it) which is stored on the NVMe drive, no issues with this game crashing my whole pc before. I didn't have this issue before putting the NVMe in and I'm not sure why that would be causing my pc to shutdown. Windows Event Viewer shows nothing but a critical error after it is booted back up saying the system shutdown unexpectedly. The CPU and GPU temperature were on acceptable levels.

Computer Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700xt
RAM: 2 x 8GB 3000 RAM
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk Max
PSU: EVGA Silver 600W

I find very unlikely to have drive cause power loss. It could be other component failing and the fact that is started when you installed new drive could be just coincidence. To make sure you would need to remove new drive, install gta on your old SSD and see if problem is gone.
One other thing to check out is WD temps - maybe it's overheating.
Oh, and what exactly model of EVGA PSU you have? Some of them would not be really suitable for a set up you have. Maybe those extra few watts taken by new drive was all it took to make it fail (as unlikely as it sounds).

Jun 23, 2021
I find very unlikely to have drive cause power loss. It could be other component failing and the fact that is started when you installed new drive could be just coincidence. To make sure you would need to remove new drive, install gta on your old SSD and see if problem is gone.
One other thing to check out is WD temps - maybe it's overheating.
Oh, and what exactly model of EVGA PSU you have? Some of them would not be really suitable for a set up you have. Maybe those extra few watts taken by new drive was all it took to make it fail (as unlikely as it sounds).
Yeah I do find it weird that it would be the NVMe, it just started acting like this right after installing the NVMe and booting the game up. I was monitoring it to see why it was crashing, during GTA the NVMe max temp was 49C. I just took it out and currently installing the game on my old SSD to see if the issue persists.
My PSU model is the EVGA 600 W1, 80+ White 600W.

Jun 23, 2021
That's a crappy model. I would not be surprised if it was creating that problem. In any case I would recommend replacing it with something more reliable when you can.
Yeah, I was thinking about upgrading it anyways for future upgrades. I might be able to test the NVME on another pc so that should conclude if its the drive or not. I'm currently looking at getting the NZXT C750 for £85 (discounted price) if that is a good model to upgrade to?

Yeah, I was thinking about upgrading it anyways for future upgrades. I might be able to test the NVME on another pc so that should conclude if its the drive or not. I'm currently looking at getting the NZXT C750 for £85 (discounted price) if that is a good model to upgrade to?
I don't personally know NZXT units but they seem to be Tier A units on our PSU list so it seems good (and certainly waaay better then your EVGA).

Status
Not open for further replies.