[SOLVED] m.2 NVME detected as SATA drive

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my rig. Along with my MB, CPU and PSU I bought a new SSD. The old one is Samsung's 850 EVO NVME m.2. It works excellent, I don't have any complains.

So here's the problem.. When I got my new MB (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero) I installed the new SSD (Samsung 980 PRO) to the first m.2 slot and my 850 EVO to the second. I installed Windows to the 980 and everything works fine. In windows I can see the 850 EVO and I can access it. I can also see my 2 HDDs. The problem is that my MBs BIOS detects the 850 EVO as a SATA drive and I can't find any way to "tell" the BIOS that this is a second m.2 NVME drive. What is worse is that I have a completely working Windows with all kinds of settings and everything on that 850 EVO and I want to access it, I want to be able to log in both OS-es on both drives (just for a while so I could get some software settings etc.).

So in short. I have 2 m.2 NVMEs but the BIOS detects only one and the other is marked as SATA AHCI drive. Also the BIOS can't detect that there's an OS on the wrongly labeled drive and I can't log on it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

MB: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi

CPU: Ryzen 5900X

GPU: AORUS Xtreme Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (installed on the 1st PCI slot)

Solution
I know that, but I was actually talking about Power off, like a power outage for example or a simple PC Shut Down, After both of these Chrome remembers my tabs. Anyways, I'm really happy to say that I got it to work, in BIOS I have something called Compatibility Support Module (CSM). I Enabled it and restarted the PC. It automatically boots the new OS (like before) and doesn't see any other OS. However, after enabling the CSM, I can now go in BIOS and select my old OS. The first time it needed to install something for the new parts and then it restarted but now I'm in my old OS and already managed to back up everything!

I want to say Thank You to everyone for the replies !!! Both my issues were resolved!

USAFRet

Titan
What is worse is that I have a completely working Windows with all kinds of settings and everything on that 850 EVO and I want to access it, I want to be able to log in both OS-es on both drives (just for a while so I could get some software settings etc.).
In addition to the 850 being a SATA drive, this will probably not work.

Windows from the old system does not like to see a whole new system.
Probably won't boot up.

Jan 20, 2021
The m.2 you're using is a sata SSD, which isn't wrong, if you look at your motherboard you will see that the nvme conenction is labled "sata." there is nothing wrong with this, and it's perfectly fine.

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
OMG, I'm really sorry, I feel so stupid for not checking the whole 850 EVO situation.. As for the booting - I did manage to find some useful information about it, but it's not complete. There is a CMD command bcdedit that can help me update the boot loader on the 850 EVO and then I'll be able to choose which system to log into (man, things were way easier back in the XP days..). However, I looked it up but couldn't find any specific answer to how I can do it exactly and don't feel confident enough to experiment with a drive I have information on. So if anyone knows anything - please share your wisdom!

Thank you all for the help so far !!!

USAFRet

Titan
OMG, I'm really sorry, I feel so stupid for not checking the whole 850 EVO situation.. As for the booting - I did manage to find some useful information about it, but it's not complete. There is a CMD command bcdedit that can help me update the boot loader on the 850 EVO and then I'll be able to choose which system to log into (man, things were way easier back in the XP days..). However, I looked it up but couldn't find any specific answer to how I can do it exactly and don't feel confident enough to experiment with a drive I have information on. So if anyone knows anything - please share your wisdom!

Thank you all for the help so far !!!
You're putting this into a new system?
There is no boot loader/bcedit magic to make this work properly.
Even if you get it to boot iup....overall functionality will not be right.

You NEED to do a full wipe and reinstall, in the new hardware.

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
So there's absolutely no way for me to retrieve my settings from the old OS before formatting the drive? The only way would probably be to use my old parts, p[ut the SSD back on my old MB, get what I need, and then flash it..

kanewolf

Titan
So there's absolutely no way for me to retrieve my settings from the old OS before formatting the drive? The only way would probably be to use my old parts, p[ut the SSD back on my old MB, get what I need, and then flash it..
You should be able to access the 850 as a data drive. If you have to boot it, then you probably have to put it back in the old hardware.

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
You should be able to access the 850 as a data drive. If you have to boot it, then you probably have to put it back in the old hardware.
Well.. I do have access to it as a data drive but still need to boot it. I'm really sad for that being the only way but still very grateful for your fast replies and overall help !!!

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
You'll laugh when you see this but I only want to retrieve my opened tabs in both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I'm using both for different things and have like 20-30 opened tabs with information that I need. I tried Google-ing how to get them from the Google Chrome folder in the AppData but when I tried what I found I ended up with a brand new Google Chrome and nothing else. If you have any ideas I'm all ears!

USAFRet

Titan
You'll laugh when you see this but I only want to retrieve my opened tabs in both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I'm using both for different things and have like 20-30 opened tabs with information that I need. I tried Google-ing how to get them from the Google Chrome folder in the AppData but when I tried what I found I ended up with a brand new Google Chrome and nothing else. If you have any ideas I'm all ears!
Those tabs are no longer "open".

Even if you put the old system back together and booted up from this original drive...if you open Chrome, it is likely just a new Chrome instance, opening to whatever your standard tabs are.
The ones you had open existed in RAM.

Reactions: Krotow

kanewolf

Titan
Chrome may be able to be viewed by opening your history (CTL H) after logging into your google account.

Reactions: Krotow

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
Isn't RAM cleared every time the system is shut down? Also, When I put together my new system, the new RAM was still on it's way so I put the old RAM for the time being and there were no opened tabs. The opened tabs should be stored somewhere (on a ROM memory a.k.k an SSD or HDD drive) for the "continue where you left off" option.

USAFRet

Titan
Isn't RAM cleared every time the system is shut down? Also, When I put together my new system, the new RAM was still on it's way so I put the old RAM for the time being and there were no opened tabs. The opened tabs should be stored somewhere (on a ROM memory a.k.k an SSD or HDD drive) for the "continue where you left off" option.
RAM is volatile. Power off, it loses everything.

In certain conditions, "continue where you left off" is applicable.
For instance, a reboot after a windows Update. What the browser was doing is saved and when the reboot is done, what you had opened is opened again.

Or in sleep mode, or hibernation. Neither of which are an actual "power off".

But your chain of events is none of those.

vulka33

Commendable
Mar 19, 2018
I know that, but I was actually talking about Power off, like a power outage for example or a simple PC Shut Down, After both of these Chrome remembers my tabs. Anyways, I'm really happy to say that I got it to work, in BIOS I have something called Compatibility Support Module (CSM). I Enabled it and restarted the PC. It automatically boots the new OS (like before) and doesn't see any other OS. However, after enabling the CSM, I can now go in BIOS and select my old OS. The first time it needed to install something for the new parts and then it restarted but now I'm in my old OS and already managed to back up everything!

I want to say Thank You to everyone for the replies !!! Both my issues were resolved!

Solution