M.2 NVMe in PCLE adapter stopped 1070 SLI from working

Dec 28, 2018
Hi, Just put in a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe into PCIe adapter card in the bottom slot of my x99 Asus motherboard. My graphic cards 1070x2 SLI occupying the two slots above stopped working. I have an M.2 960 evo NVME in the M.2 socket on the motherboard.

Is this a known issue, and is there a way around this, or do I need to have only one M.2 NVMe card, in which case I shall have to clone from 960 500gb ( which is 90% full) to 970 1tb and replace it.
See below for details of my pc.
Any help appreciated.
Raj

Solution
I suspect that part of the issue is that your motherboard doesn't support enough PCIE lanes for what you're trying to do. The two graphics cards have probably taken all the lanes already.

From the manual, it looks like if you have two graphics cards in slots 1 and 3, then you have no more PCIE lanes left for the other slots. In fact, if you look in the manual for your motherboard, there's a section on what you can fit in the PCIE slots with a 28 lane CPU which is what the i7-68000k appears to be. It might be possible to reconfigure both graphics cards to use x8 and then see if your adapter can be configured to do x8 (per the diagram in the manual).
Dec 28, 2018
My system is :
Chillblast fusion hellfire 2 gaming pc
Processor: i7-6800K, not overclocked
Graphics cards: 2X nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 as SLI on PCIe 3x 16 slot 1 and 3
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II
Memory: 32gb DDR4 3000mhz (4x8gb sticks)
OS Drive: Samsung 960 NVMe SSD on M.2 port
Other SATA drives: Seagate 3tb HDD, Samsung 1 tb HDD, 128gb SSD, Samsung 960 1tb
Newly installed drive: Samsung 970 M.2 NVME on PCIe riser card to PCIe 3x16 slot 6
Windows 10 with October update
Mainly used for gaming through Steam

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
I suspect that part of the issue is that your motherboard doesn't support enough PCIE lanes for what you're trying to do. The two graphics cards have probably taken all the lanes already.

From the manual, it looks like if you have two graphics cards in slots 1 and 3, then you have no more PCIE lanes left for the other slots. In fact, if you look in the manual for your motherboard, there's a section on what you can fit in the PCIE slots with a 28 lane CPU which is what the i7-68000k appears to be. It might be possible to reconfigure both graphics cards to use x8 and then see if your adapter can be configured to do x8 (per the diagram in the manual).

Solution