Discussion M.2 nvme may not be kept cool due to Motherboard fsulty design

Feb 18, 2022
Have discovered that Gigabytes x570s aorus master motherboard has a faulty design that may cause m.2 nvme drives to fail due to over heat. The 4 m.2 nvme slots, top heatsinks do not make contact with the top of Samsung 970 pro, 980 pro or 990 pro. I suspect many other drives too. After taking the top heatsink covers off there are no marks or indentations on the thermal transfer tape.

On my board slot A, the heat sink cover does not even tighten down as the heat sink cover is still loose.

The design of the standoffs the the heat sink covers screw down on to are poorly designed as they use a small nut on top of the standoff rather than a 1 piece standoff. This results in a weekness where these join. One broke off on my mother board.

There is no support at the far end of the GPU so when usung 3070, 3080 or 3090 the GPU is not properly supported.

Have discovered that Gigabytes x570s aorus master motherboard has a faulty design that may cause m.2 nvme drives to fail due to over heat. The 4 m.2 nvme slots, top heatsinks do not make contact with the top of Samsung 970 pro, 980 pro or 990 pro. I suspect many other drives too. After taking the top heatsink covers off there are no marks or indentations on the thermal transfer tape.

On my board slot A, the heat sink cover does not even tighten down as the heat sink cover is still loose.

The design of the standoffs the the heat sink covers screw down on to are poorly designed as they use a small nut on top of the standoff rather than a 1 piece standoff. This results in a weekness where these join. One broke off on my mother board.

There is no support at the far end of the GPU so when usung 3070, 3080 or 3090 the GPU is not properly supported.
You would be better of leaving hat sinks off and if you must get aftermarket ones.

Feb 18, 2022
You would be better of leaving hat sinks off and if you must get aftermarket ones.
I am not sure that would work. They would need to be specific for this mother board and would not screw down any further than the originals due to the standoff height. Probably better to replace the thermal tape with thicker tape, however due to the risk of the stand off breaking at the weak point, do not try to tighten these to much. Just trying to warn everyone of the flaws so they dont destroy their ssd's or break stand offs, things they are most likely unaware of. For such an expensive mobo one would expect better quality from Gigabyte.

I am not sure that would work. They would need to be specific for this mother board and would not screw down any further than the originals due to the standoff height. Probably better to replace the thermal tape with thicker tape, however due to the risk of the stand off breaking at the weak point, do not try to tighten these to much. Just trying to warn everyone of the flaws so they dont destroy their ssd's or break stand offs, things they are most likely unaware of. For such an expensive mobo one would expect better quality from Gigabyte.
Aftermarket M.2 coolers just clip on the SSD, they don't depend on the MB.
More or thicker thermal pads are not as good as thin ones and could be more of a problem than solution, Been there, done that and ended up with insulation effect although on GPUs and laptops.
If you go for thicker thermal pad these ones are best
https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/6-minus-pad
and this one is even better, it's made for CPU
https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Carbonaut-Pad-0-2/dp/B07PHN2ZNY?th=1