[SOLVED] m.2 NVMe not working/showing up in BIOS or Windows on Z170i

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to take advantage of the m.2 slot on my motherboard. I have an ASUS Z170i PRO GAMING motherboard. (link) I'm currently running an SSD and HDD over sata and a GPU in the pci-e slot.

I picked up a Western Digital Black NVMe drive (link) but I'm out of ideas to get it to work. Yes, it is fully seated and screwed into place. After hours and hours of research I've yet to make any progress... It seems like I'm missing some settings in the bios compared to other people and I've just recently installed the newest BIOS available. Does anyone have any ideas or did I just waste $120? I've been at it for about 6 hours straight now and haven't made any progress. I've built many pc's before, though this is the first time I've used an m.2 drive.

Currently at wits end because it seems like this shouldn't be that difficult of a process but I'm stumped. Here's some screen shot of the bios.

https://imgur.com/a/n8fclPP

Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution
Well .. if you're sure, you have connected it properly, then
  • either the drive is dead (DOA or you have killed it with ESD accidentally) or
    the drive is not compatible with your board (it is not listed in compatibility list btw).

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

not listed in disk management. Hyper Kit Mode is disabled.

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I understand it is not a SATA device. I was just showing all the options in my BIOS.

3mt7CwL.png

richpixel

Prominent
Jan 3, 2019
Is the m.2 listed in bios, sometimes when using m.2 it will disable a sata port, try another sata port, if the m.2 is for windows, disable all other drives and boot from windows install usb/cd

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

The m.2 is not listed anywhere in the BIOS. I want to install windows on it but I can't find it anywhere or any settings to enable it.

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

I have a screenshot of the PCH Storage tab in the first imgur link. There is no m.2 option.

aeffertz

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

It just gives me an option to name the m.2 slot, so I think i just typed in m.2lol while I was trying to get things to work.