[SOLVED] M.2 (NVMe) or SATA 3 SSD For Video Editing (After Effects)?

VXsz

Reputable
Jan 12, 2017
So I want to upgrade my build a bit from the storage side

And since I love to edit a lot, I'm planning for buying 3 separate SSDs

1st for the system and main programs/apps

2nd SSD is going to be for project saves / project files, and I might store any downloads (maybe some games?) or movies in it

3rd SSD (which all of this about) is going to be a caching SSD, all of my work on after effects and premiere pro will be cached on in it

So my question is:
I want the best option for each SSD type I should get, for me, I choose normal SATA 3 SSD for the 2nd (maybe also 1st),

But most importantly is what should I get for the caching drive, should I get normal data 3 SSD or NVMe? and would I get any noticeable performance or I should save my money and buy a SATA 3?

Edit: all of them are going to be 256GB each (2nd SSD might be higher since it's like a storage) and I was thinking can I just buy a 500GB and separate it to 250GB drives, is it a good idea? would it perform as a sperate drive?

And I would love it to be cheaper (I'm kind of limited on my budget) so the cheaper the better, but if the M.2s are faster then i would go with those

Solution
Personally I would go for a 1tb NVMe SSD. There is NO downside to creating multiple partitions on a SSD (It will not run slower, you will not wear the drive faster, and it does not cause problems partitioning them). I have 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro's now. My Windows drive is 96GB and runs with typically 65-70gb free. All applications are on there too. I have 256GB partitioned for games, and the remaining 600gb is used for video work (encoding and such). The second drive is used for storage and is divided into two 500gb partitions.

For me, I have noticed a substantial difference in responsiveness with the 3400/2700 sequential r/w of the 970 Pro and the 530/500 r/w of the SATA SSD. Many tasks finish much earlier. I also run backups daily...

Tanyac

Reputable
Personally I would go for a 1tb NVMe SSD. There is NO downside to creating multiple partitions on a SSD (It will not run slower, you will not wear the drive faster, and it does not cause problems partitioning them). I have 2 x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro's now. My Windows drive is 96GB and runs with typically 65-70gb free. All applications are on there too. I have 256GB partitioned for games, and the remaining 600gb is used for video work (encoding and such). The second drive is used for storage and is divided into two 500gb partitions.

For me, I have noticed a substantial difference in responsiveness with the 3400/2700 sequential r/w of the 970 Pro and the 530/500 r/w of the SATA SSD. Many tasks finish much earlier. I also run backups daily onto one of the partitions. The difference between the 512 SATA SSD I have and the 500gb NVMe partition is around 3 minutes on a 20gb backup on NVMe to 5 minutes on the SATA SSD and 7.5 minutes on a mechanical hard drive.

For endurance; the TBW values are generally higher than most people will use within the warranty period and beyond. The smaller drives often have lower endurance ratings.

Where I am a 250gb 970 Evo is $99. A 1tb 970 Evo is $290, so it actually makes sense to get the larger drive. The 970 Pro only comes in 512gb and 1tb sizes, which are $240 for 512gb and $480 for 1tb.

The speed differences between the Evo's and Pro's is not significant, however the Evo has lower endurance ratings, but still more than the average person will use over the warranty period.

I don't know what pricing is like where you are.

Solution