[SOLVED] M.2 NVME, Sata SSD, and HDD

Jan 3, 2020
okay so, i'm looking to order an nvme and a sata SSD to put in my build, i currently only count with a 1tb wd blue HDD, i was wondering would it be reliable to put these there types of storage units in my rig, and if so can someone please tell me where each unit would be best, for example i was thinking about Sata for boot, NVME for my games and my HDD for stuff i don't really use ... i'm going to buy a 250gb NVME and a 128gb Sata SSD

Last edited:
Solution
i've got a Rog Strix B360-H which has a NVME slot
You motherboard has two M.2 sockets.
One M.2 Socket supports M.2 NVMe disk (PCIE 3.0 x4)
The other M.2 Socket supports both M.2 SATA & M.2 NVMe disks (PCIE 3.0 x2)

You could connect the current HDD to one of the SATA ports on the motherboard.

While Installing Windows just have one disk connected to the motherboard to prevent Windows installation from creating boot partitions on any other disk.
You could connect them after Windows has been installed.
okay so, i'm looking to order an nvme and a sata SSD to put in my build, i currently only count with a 1tb wd blue HDD, i was wondering would it be reliable to put these there types of storage units in my rig, and if so can someone please tell me where each unit would be best, for example i was thinking about Sata for boot, m,2 for my games and my HDD for stuff i don't really use ... i'm going to buy a 250gb M.2 and a 128gb Sata SSD
Currently there is no reason to buy really any drive smaller than 480GB. The difference is cost from a 256 to a 480/512 isn't very much and a 128 won't get the performance that you want.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
If you have a 1tb HDD bootdrive, it's the best idea to swap it for any 1tb SSD. SSD's are overall better and faster than HDD's.

Don't buy different drives just to fill up slots or to show off.
The best thing to do:
  • Smaal SSD (128GB) for booting and OS
  • Bigger storage SSD or HDD (1tb to 2tb) for saving your data

okay so, i'm looking to order an nvme and a sata SSD to put in my build, i currently only count with a 1tb wd blue HDD, i was wondering would it be reliable to put these there types of storage units in my rig, and if so can someone please tell me where each unit would be best, for example i was thinking about Sata for boot, m,2 for my games and my HDD for stuff i don't really use ... i'm going to buy a 250gb M.2 and a 128gb Sata SSD
Which motherboard do you have?
I would advise against a 128GB disk, which after formatting will be around 111GB. Also, you will have to leave empty space for it to perform at rated speeds. It will get full very fast and you will have to replace it very soon.
Instead of buying two disks, just get a 500GB or 1TB disk.

Just to clarify, a M.2 disk could be NVMe orSATA .

Jan 3, 2020
Which motherboard do you have?
I would advise against a 128GB disk, which after formatting will be around 111GB. Also, you will have to leave empty space for it to perform at rated speeds. It will get full very fast and you will have to replace it very soon.
Instead of buying two disks, just get a 500GB or 1TB disk.

Just to clarify, a M.2 disk could be NVMe orSATA .

While Installing Windows just have one disk connected to the motherboard to prevent Windows installation from creating boot partitions on any other disk.
You could connect them after Windows has been installed.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020

So should only go for a Nvme instead of the Sata SSD?
And will the 258gb NVME and the 1TB HDD be enough?

So should only go for a Nvme instead of the Sata SSD?
And will the 258gb NVME and the 1TB HDD be enough?
I would go with a 500GB to 1TB NVMe as main disk, where I would install OS, apps and games.
Keep files on the 1TB HDD.
If you can afford another disk, then I would recommend a M.2 SATA (1TB or larger) or even a 2.5" SATA SSD.
You know which platforms are supported on your motherboard, so ultimately it is up to you which device to get.