[SOLVED] M.2 NVMe Speed differences

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
I've decided to get an M.2 NVMe for my next build, but I was wondering if there would be a difference making it worth it to go for a 220€ 3500MB/s instead of an 1800MB/s one?

I have no idea what I would be using that PC for, only sure things being gaming and watching youtube at the same time. I am going to practice programming on that computer though, so would I benefit from a faster NVMe?

Solution
I have that same Intel, installed as a secondary drive.
Yes, it is 'slower' than the 970.
However, significantly faster than a SATA III SSD.

For your use, it will be just fine, for 1/2 the price.

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
I have that same Intel, installed as a secondary drive.
Yes, it is 'slower' than the 970.
However, significantly faster than a SATA III SSD.

For your use, it will be just fine, for 1/2 the price.
Thank you for the help. I have to ask though, do you know why Intel's NVMe is way cheaper than others? I saw 580MB/s NVMes that were 50€ pricier.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for the help. I have to ask though, do you know why Intel's NVMe is way cheaper than others? I saw 580MB/s NVMes that were 50€ pricier.
Don't confuse NVMe with M.2
A drive advertised at 580MB/sec is almost certainly a SATA III drive. Even though it may be in the M.2 format.
M.2 is simply the connection type.

The Intel is cheap due to marketing, mostly.

CMNDRKizza

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Don't confuse NVMe with M.2
A drive advertised at 580MB/sec is almost certainly a SATA III drive. Even though it may be in the M.2 format.
M.2 is simply the connection type.

The Intel is cheap due to marketing, mostly.
After I read that, I noticed that the 580MB/s was, in fact, a SATA III 860 EVO. Thanks for telling that because else I wouldn't probably have noticed in a long time.