[SOLVED] M.2 NVMe SSD vs SATA 3 SSD

himagarwal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2014
Hi,

I am looking to buy this laptop which already comes with M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

I was thinking to add Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SATA 3 SSD just because I think the speed of Samsung 860 EVO SATA 3 is better than M.2 SSD which laptop comes with.

I have used another laptop which came with M.2 NVMe SSD and it ran slow. Once, I added Samsung 850 EVO SSD and installed fresh Win10 (64bit) its boot speed and file opening/closing (daily tasks) speed increased. So, since than I started believing SSD is better. However, I read several posts here in Tom's which is speaking otherwise.

I am concerned if Samsung 860 EVO would be necessary? As I have to shell unnecessarily extra if it doesn't add any speed.

Solution
Even the slowest M.2 NVMe SSD is at worst about 1.5-2x faster than the fastest SATA SSD. The biggest issue with so many prebuilt machines is that it comes with loads of bloatware so when you did the fresh install of Win10 a lot of bloatware would be removed. On top of that before the fresh install I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of programs trying to start automatically that didn't need to start. All those running programs will suck up a lot of RAM and once a machine with 8G hits about 75% RAM usage it starts to get slow as there is a lot of page swapping going on.

Basically stick with the 512GB NVMe drive.
Even the slowest M.2 NVMe SSD is at worst about 1.5-2x faster than the fastest SATA SSD. The biggest issue with so many prebuilt machines is that it comes with loads of bloatware so when you did the fresh install of Win10 a lot of bloatware would be removed. On top of that before the fresh install I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of programs trying to start automatically that didn't need to start. All those running programs will suck up a lot of RAM and once a machine with 8G hits about 75% RAM usage it starts to get slow as there is a lot of page swapping going on.

Basically stick with the 512GB NVMe drive.

Reactions: himagarwal
Solution
Before a format and reinstall you can try using Reset This Pc option in Settings > Update & Security > Recovery and then using the remove everything option. In theory that should give a fresh install of the OS without having to go through the hassle of the full format, etc...