Question M.2 nvme ssd wont show up anywhere at all

Apr 25, 2023
Posting again in hopes someone will help
(Its been around a week and i still havent found a solution)
So i recently got my first M.2 ssd which is a kingston NV2 PCIe4 1TB NVME M.2 ssd, tried installing it on my Gigabyte b450m ds3h v2 but with no success, drive doesnt show up neither in bios or in windows anywhere, i've tried reseating the drive numerous times and looking at tutorials online, some say there may be some drivers i need to install but i just cant seem to find any tutorials for ssd that doesnt show up on my specific board. I would really like some help with this
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard version: 64a
GPU: MSI GTX 1070OC 8G
PSU coolermaster mwe gold 750 v2
Ram: Kingston FURY BEAST 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL17 (downclocked to 3200 mhz)

Ralston18

Titan
Is the system booting? Or is the new drive the intended boot drive?

If booting, open the Disk Management window. Expand so all can be seen. Take a screenshot and post that screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_b450m-ds3h-v2_e.pdf

[Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Start with a full review of the User's Manual.

Then take a closer look at the storage connections per physically numbered pages 14 and15.

Double check that all connections and configuration setting are correct and fully in place.

Apr 25, 2023

If booting, open the Disk Management window. Expand so all can be seen. Take a screenshot and post that screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

This motherboard?

Then take a closer look at the storage connections per physically numbered pages 14 and15.

Double check that all connections and configuration setting are correct and fully in place.
System is booting, no the m.2 is not the intended boot drive, it will be tho once I get it to work and can install windows on it, rn I'm not home I believe that around tomorrow evening (UTC time) I will be able to post the screenshots, but from the last time I checked the disk management it didn't show at all in the main screen, will post a Screenshot as soon as I'm home tho. Will go through the User manual now.

Apr 25, 2023

This motherboard?

View: https://i.imgur.com/rRiMC6v.png

looked through the manual but couldnt really figure out how to set it up as everytime i enable RAID sata mode or disable csm support pc only boots into bios and doesnt recognize my windows drive as a bootable drive

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding: "s everytime i enable RAID sata mode".

What is the reason or requirement for RAID?

Overall all there is little need for RAID configurations on home computers.

RAID is problematic and does not really offer much with regards to improved performance and/or security.

Much more applicable to large scale commericial systems where RAID is intended to be used.

There are other posts within this category with questions and answers about RAID.

Read a few of those posts and then post more information about your requirements and other questions/concerns.

Focus on just simple drive configurations and regular backup procedures.

Backup options are often discussed as well.

Apr 25, 2023
Regarding: "s everytime i enable RAID sata mode".

What is the reason or requirement for RAID?

Overall all there is little need for RAID configurations on home computers.

RAID is problematic and does not really offer much with regards to improved performance and/or security.

Much more applicable to large scale commericial systems where RAID is intended to be used.

There are other posts within this category with questions and answers about RAID.

Read a few of those posts and then post more information about your requirements and other questions/concerns.

Focus on just simple drive configurations and regular backup procedures.

Backup options are often discussed as well.
I thought raid was necessary for installing a pcie ssd?

Ralston18

Titan
No. RAID is not necessary.

From the motherboard User Manual link provided in Post #2:

"7) M2A_SOCKET (M.2 Socket 3 Connector)

The M.2 connectors support M.2 SATA SSDs or M.2 PCIe SSDs and support RAID configuration. Please
note that an M.2 PCIe SSD cannot be used to create a RAID set either with a SATA hard drive. To create a
RAID array with an M.2 PCIe SSD, you must set up the configuration in UEFI BIOS mode. Refer to Chapter
3, "Configuring a RAID Set," for instructions on configuring a RAID array"

Page 15.

My underline.

What is often more problematic is the mix of PCIe slots and SATA slots that are supported by the motherboard.

SATA ports being disabled in some cases.

If there is concern that RAID is indeed necessary provide the reference information or source.

Could be some error of omission or commission. Even on my part......

Apr 25, 2023
No. RAID is not necessary.

From the motherboard User Manual link provided in Post #2:

"7) M2A_SOCKET (M.2 Socket 3 Connector)

The M.2 connectors support M.2 SATA SSDs or M.2 PCIe SSDs and support RAID configuration. Please
note that an M.2 PCIe SSD cannot be used to create a RAID set either with a SATA hard drive. To create a
RAID array with an M.2 PCIe SSD, you must set up the configuration in UEFI BIOS mode. Refer to Chapter
3, "Configuring a RAID Set," for instructions on configuring a RAID array"

Page 15.

My underline.

What is often more problematic is the mix of PCIe slots and SATA slots that are supported by the motherboard.

SATA ports being disabled in some cases.

If there is concern that RAID is indeed necessary provide the reference information or source.

Could be some error of omission or commission. Even on my part......
I ended up selling the ssd to a friend, after some research my motherboard doesn't seem to support it, gonna get one that does