[SOLVED] M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter on older motherboard?

aedrums

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
Id like to add an M2 nvme ssd drive to my older computer. Ideally for os and storage, but I currently have a little sata ssd that I can use for OS if needed. Anyone know if one of these adaptors will work on my motherboard in PCIe x 4 (Ver2) slot?

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P motherboard
AMD fx-8320 cpu

https://www.amazon.com/YATENG-Controller-Expansion-Card-Support-Converter/dp/B07JJTVGZM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=pcie+m2+nvme+adapter&qid=1603833191&sr=8-3

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3P-rev-10/sp#sp

Barty1884

Titan
You could use it as storage, but the BIOS on an AMD platform of that era won't support booting from NVMe.

The adapter, or something similar should 'work' in a PCIe 2.0 x4 port, but you're limited to the speed afforded by 2.0 with 4 lanes (or 3.0 with 2 lanes, same bandwidth).

Even if it could work, I can't think of any workload that would benefit from an NVMe drive that won't be hindered by the CPU. If you need more storage, replace the SATAIII SSD you have, or add another SATAIII SSD.

Reactions: aedrums

Barty1884

Titan
You could use it as storage, but the BIOS on an AMD platform of that era won't support booting from NVMe.

The adapter, or something similar should 'work' in a PCIe 2.0 x4 port, but you're limited to the speed afforded by 2.0 with 4 lanes (or 3.0 with 2 lanes, same bandwidth).

Even if it could work, I can't think of any workload that would benefit from an NVMe drive that won't be hindered by the CPU. If you need more storage, replace the SATAIII SSD you have, or add another SATAIII SSD.

aedrums

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018

Yeah, that was my next question..."should I just stick with sata3"? My aim here is to run a few virtual machines in Oracle VB. My old HDD's are just churning away endlessly trying to load. If you have any advice on what type of sata ssd i should get, plz let me know.

THANKS!!

neojack

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
i use crucial MX500 (and older M4/MX300) for my VM's at work. they are fast, reliable and inexpensive.
They also support encryption (bitlocker enabled for the OS without performance hit), and have capacitors to flush Dram cache to nand before to shutdown, in case of unexpected power loss.

Over years, I probably bought several dozen units in total for personal use, familly, and work. never had to RMA one yet.

ASK THE COMMUNITY