[SOLVED] M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter on older motherboard?

aedrums

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Solution
You could use it as storage, but the BIOS on an AMD platform of that era won't support booting from NVMe.

The adapter, or something similar should 'work' in a PCIe 2.0 x4 port, but you're limited to the speed afforded by 2.0 with 4 lanes (or 3.0 with 2 lanes, same bandwidth).

Even if it could work, I can't think of any workload that would benefit from an NVMe drive that won't be hindered by the CPU. If you need more storage, replace the SATAIII SSD you have, or add another SATAIII SSD.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You could use it as storage, but the BIOS on an AMD platform of that era won't support booting from NVMe.

The adapter, or something similar should 'work' in a PCIe 2.0 x4 port, but you're limited to the speed afforded by 2.0 with 4 lanes (or 3.0 with 2 lanes, same bandwidth).

Even if it could work, I can't think of any workload that would benefit from an NVMe drive that won't be hindered by the CPU. If you need more storage, replace the SATAIII SSD you have, or add another SATAIII SSD.

Reactions: aedrums
Solution

aedrums

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018

Yeah, that was my next question..."should I just stick with sata3"? My aim here is to run a few virtual machines in Oracle VB. My old HDD's are just churning away endlessly trying to load. If you have any advice on what type of sata ssd i should get, plz let me know.

THANKS!!

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i use crucial MX500 (and older M4/MX300) for my VM's at work. they are fast, reliable and inexpensive.
They also support encryption (bitlocker enabled for the OS without performance hit), and have capacitors to flush Dram cache to nand before to shutdown, in case of unexpected power loss.

Over years, I probably bought several dozen units in total for personal use, familly, and work. never had to RMA one yet.

Reactions: aedrums
Dec 29, 2020
I see that an nvme ssd on PCIE 2.0 x4 doesn't beat SATAIII SSD, but what about an old MB with SATAII SSD.
Doesn't an nvme ssd on PCIE 2.0 x4 beat a SATAII?

On my old computer, will windows benefit if paging and temp files moved to the nvme?
I don't want to invest in any more DDR2 ram. The nvme card and ssd can be moved to a future computer.

Even if I don't notice exactly how much, will processing speed up?

Core2Duo e8400
DDR2 6gb
AMD R5 340x

USAFRet

Titan
I see that an nvme ssd on PCIE 2.0 x4 doesn't beat SATAIII SSD, but what about an old MB with SATAII SSD.
Doesn't an nvme ssd on PCIE 2.0 x4 beat a SATAII?

On my old computer, will windows benefit if paging and temp files moved to the nvme?
I don't want to invest in any more DDR2 ram. The nvme card and ssd can be moved to a future computer.

Even if I don't notice exactly how much, will processing speed up?

Core2Duo e8400
DDR2 6gb
AMD R5 340x
"Doesn't an nvme ssd on PCIE 2.0 x4 beat a SATAII?"

Not that you'd notice.
Raw sequential speed of the drive does not exist in a vacuum. The rest of the system comes into play. And for something with SATA II ports and a e8400 CPU? The rest of that system is slooooow.

"On my old computer, will windows benefit if paging and temp files moved to the nvme?"
What drives are in this now?

Don't try to shoehorn new tech into an ancient system.
As far as buying that drive now and moving it to a new system later? Just buy the relevant drive later. It will almost surely be less expensive than it is today. Storage prices are continually falling.