Question m.2 on Q87M

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
I updated my bios which claims to support NVME, and when I install a PCIe M.2 SSD, Bios doesn't show it. If I boot to windows from my SATA SSD, the M.2 disk is available to use. I cloned my SATA SSD to the M.2 SSD with Minitool from Partition Magic.

Any thoughts?

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Here's a post on overclock3d.net:

18-05-15
Today Asus have announced updates for a lot of their motherboards, this update is mainly for the new Intel NVME drives that have been released lately. The update should enable your motherboard to make the most out of these drives, especially with the new M.2 to SAS connectors that are used (in the 2½ inch drives), and have streamlined the PCI-E code within to take full advantage of the drives features for both the PCI-E and 2½ inch drives.

Below is a rather long list of motherboards that the new BIOS updates are being released for, but don't expect to immediately be able to download this update, as they will need time to get them out.

Q87M-E 1502

Reactions: TJ Hooker

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Here's a forum post on overclock3d.net:

18-05-15, 11:47 AM
Today Asus have announced updates for a lot of their motherboards, this update is mainly for the new Intel NVME drives that have been released lately. The update should enable your motherboard to make the most out of these drives, especially with the new M.2 to SAS connectors that are used (in the 2½ inch drives), and have streamlined the PCI-E code within to take full advantage of the drives features for both the PCI-E and 2½ inch drives.

Below is a rather long list of motherboards that the new BIOS updates are being released for, but don't expect to immediately be able to download this update, as they will need time to get them out.

Q87M-E 1502

Maybe it only applies to M.2 SATA?

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Samsung PM981 MZ-VLB2560 256GB SSD plugged into the PCIe slot using a NVMe M.2 NGFF SSD to PCI-E PCI express 3.0 16x x4 adapter.

The SSD is functional under Windows10, but just not seen by BIOS.

I used MiniTool to clone my system disk. I really don't want to do a clean install, but I don't think it would matter. BIOS sees all the other drives in my system, although they're all SATA attached.

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
I'm downloading a bootable install media now. It will take most of the day at my crappy data rate. I don't expect it to work as is, but I'm hoping I can use the trick of booting to Clover on a USB stick.

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
The clean install fails at the reboot during installation. It complains it can find any files in C:\Windows

I'll work on a little more, mostly by figuring out why Clover is erratic. I was hoping for a mid-life performance boost but I might have to think about another m/b (and CPU and memory).

Jan 22, 2022
Will need the bios modified to add a Nvme module before it will boot from one. I have already did this and tested it as I'm currently using the board with a Nvme boot drive added in the x16 slot. Note that with the current Gen 4 drives you will still only get Gen 3 speeds because only modern boards support the Gen 4 platform. So no use to splurge for a Gen 4 drive unless you plan to buy new hardware in the near future.

Here is a download link to my modded bios: v3801 which was the most recent.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tkdw27pczxlb2u2/Q87M-E-ASUS-3801+NvMe+Boot+Modded.7z/file

Reactions: jjgurley

USAFRet

Titan
Will need the bios modified to add a Nvme module before it will boot from one. I have already did this and tested it as I'm currently using the board with a Nvme boot drive added in the x16 slot. Note that with the current Gen 4 drives you will still only get Gen 3 speeds because only modern boards support the Gen 4 platform. So no use to splurge for a Gen 4 drive unless you plan to buy new hardware in the near future.

Here is a download link to my modded bios: v3801 which was the most recent.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tkdw27pczxlb2u2/Q87M-E-ASUS-3801+NvMe+Boot+Modded.7z/file
2 years later, I hope he's still not messing with this.

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts