m.2 or nvme or sata 3

Apr 17, 2018
hi forum! i have laptop with hdd 2.5"with sata 3. i plan to change to ssd so i read several article stated that m.2 or nvme give a better performance better than ssd sata 3 interface. so could ssd in nvme or m.2 would give me their feature if i use nvme ssd or m.2 ssd and use it with converter to ssd sata 3 or using nvme ssd or m.2 ssd will be the same since i going to use both nvme and m.2 via converter to sata 3 interface. my laptop acer v5 471 with intel core i3 2365. thank you

USAFRet

Titan

Terminology:

m.2 can be either SATA protocol or NVMe. It is just the physical format.
An NVMe drive is theoretically faster. But most use cases will not really see it. And more expensive per GB.

Which one you can actually use depends 100% on your specific motherboard capabilities.
Some can take a m.2 SATA drive.
Some can take an NVMe drive.
Some can take either.

So what can the m.2 port on your laptop do natively? Disregard an "adapters/converters".
Research.

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
So, as I understand it, you have a laptop, and are plannin to change the HDD to an SSD. Now (correct me if im wrong) you want to know if you can use a converter from nvme to sata, and you are wondering if it will have the boosted data transfer speed. It will not. Lets say you have an HDD, the data transfer is based on the rpm of it. If you are wondering about the other way around, sata to nvme, it *should* have the boosted transfer speed since it is coming from your SDD into a nvme port.

Apr 17, 2018

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

? Sorrry to ask, but why did you quote me without saying anything?

CONVERTER?
Completely pointless since you are limited by the SATA controller.

If you have a 2.5" SATA connection the best you can do is something like a 2.5" Samsung 850 EVO at appropriate capacity.

Even if you had M.2 and a fast M.2 SSD drive you may see little to no real-world benefit anyway (vs normal SSD) since there are not many tasks that benefit from the extra bandwidth... possibly some video editing programs at times.

Even with the new SSD it may just make Windows slightly snapper and reduce boot times a bit. It's not going to help game FPS or processing speeds etc.

Depending on system MEMORY usage (i.e. DDR3 SODIMM) you may be better off adding another stick if possible to go to say 8GB (2x4GB). Maybe you are in Google Chrome but it's eating up your system memory? If so an SSD won't help but system memory may.

Again, an SSD generally won't make much overall difference to the laptop... a lot of things get buffered into system memory and launch from there.

OTHER:
Depending on COST and usage an SSHD (HDD with maybe 8GB SSD cache) may make more sense. Such as a 1TB version. It will auto-move boot files and frequently loaded data to the faster SSD part.

If you use less than 200GB then an SSD isn't a bad choice.

OTHER:
also see if you have more than one SATA port. You may want to have an SSD + HDD so you can make a backup IMAGE in case SSD dies or gets virus etc.

He said he has a SATA3 connection in the laptop. He is asking about attaching an M.2 SSD to that via an adapter. It's pointless.

Not sure why you talk about SATA to M.2 the other way (i.e. M.2 connection on laptop) since you'd then just buy the appropriate M.2 SSD device not a 2.5" SSD with an adapter.

Even if you could do it via SATA SSD to adapter to M.2 connection you would be slower, not faster. You can't exceed the SATA SSD drive performance and additionally you would be limited by the converter's speed.

*so to be clear, ONLY buy a device that works directly with the connection you have. SATA for SATA, and M.2 for M.2.

(and not all M.2 devices work on all M.2 connections. Some are M.2 PCIe only, and some are M.2 SATA, and some support both... M.2 SATA and just normal SATA are different things)

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

Yes, that is a given, but he was asking for a conversion. Not to be berated about his choice. Anyways, I think that it was more of a theoretical question. Your right in the fact that it is always better to buy what fits and not use converters at all, but the question was about a conversion and if it could work. It CAN, but there are downsides. And you have to take into account that the limit on the convertor is bassed on the convertor. I dont dought that you could find a converter were the loss would be negligible.

USAFRet

Titan

Often, the answer to a question is "That is not what you want". No matter how much that hurts.
Not simply telling them "Do this" , and then fail to lay out all the bad points of the situation.

Too many people get confused with the "m.2" label, not realizing the actual differences.
NVMe is not magic.

In addition, we're talking about a theoretical converter inside a laptop.
Why pay more money for a drive, and then cripple it down to the performance of a cheaper drive?

Deadromon

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

Why? Because its theoretical. I have moments like this were I am like. If A works, can I use B to make it better? or will it make it worse? and etc. I did not think he was serious. That is why I did not tell him outright what he thinks of doing is kinda dumb.

USAFRet

Titan

Nothing in the original post pointed towards 'theoretical'.
It reads exactly like someone wanting to use a converter of some sort, in a laptop, to connect an NVMe drive into a SATA m.2 port.

Which won't work. And even if it did, its a waste of money, for multiple reasons.

Apr 17, 2018
hi all brother. i keep monitor all of you conversation. for sure as @photonboy guess i do have sata 3 port in which the old hhd attached to. so i just thinking to connect new nvme ssd via converter to my laptop sata's 3 port.

USAFRet

Titan

Even if you can find a converter thing, why pay more for a drive that runs at SATA speed?

Apr 17, 2018