Question M.2 PCI-E SSD not detected in motherboard (Asrock B450M Steel Legend)

Sep 15, 2022
I have an Asrock B450M Steel Legend MB with a ryzen 9 5950x. The motherboard is new and just got it, and I'm trying to determine if there is a missing setting or if I should return/replace it via warranty.

The PCI-E M.2 slot in the motherboard does not recognize an NVME Samsung 970 Plus (the disk has been tested on another Asrock MB that works fine). In this BIOS, it's almost as if the slot doesn't exist, because it doesn't show up under advanced / Storage Config (it only shows the SATA M.2 which I inserted a drive to test). I opened HWiNFO to check the PCI-E lanes and it does show the M.2_1 as "In Use" however it does not elaborate anything. Boot Manager, nor disk management, nor nothing else recognize any activity from the slot. Should I get the board replaced?

IMG-4092.jpg

IMG-4093.jpg

I have an Asrock B450M Steel Legend MB with a ryzen 9 5950x. The motherboard is new and just got it, and I'm trying to determine if there is a missing setting or if I should return/replace it via warranty.

The PCI-E M.2 slot in the motherboard does not recognize an NVME Samsung 970 Plus (the disk has been tested on another Asrock MB that works fine). In this BIOS, it's almost as if the slot doesn't exist, because it doesn't show up under advanced / Storage Config (it only shows the SATA M.2 which I inserted a drive to test). I opened HWiNFO to check the PCI-E lanes and it does show the M.2_1 as "In Use" however it does not elaborate anything. Boot Manager, nor disk management, nor nothing else recognize any activity from the slot. Should I get the board replaced?

IMG-4092.jpg

IMG-4093.jpg
Are you putting the m.2 in the top m.2 slot?

Sep 15, 2022
Sorry if it was confusing, the picture shows a SATA drive installed. That one is a test drive I put to boot it up. My NVME drive will not show up and I did put that one in M2_1 (Ultra M.2).

Sep 15, 2022
M2_2 slot supports SATA M.2 drives only.
You have to put NVME M.2 drive in slot M2_1.

In windows you have to install chipset driver and nvme driver.
Can you show screenshot from Device Manager ? (disk drives and storage controllers sections expanded)
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the SSD be recognized without any drivers?