M.2 PCI-e SSD vs SATA m.2 SSD

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hi,

Quick question. Is there a noticeable 'real word' difference between m.2 drives limited to SATA III speeds, and M.2 SSDs that use the faster pci-e speed?

I've just got a small form factor pc, and i'm looking to buy a m.2 card. The price between m.2 SATA speeds and faster drives is quite significant. PC will use intergrated graphics, and I plan to use for day to day work (emails, web browsing) and some light photo editing (lightroom)

Solution
real world no as a ssd is just so fast any way

unless you have 2 x m2 or m2 and ssd raid array

then copying to / from those slaughters a ssd

i have m2 and ssd and raided ssds

cant tell which i have booted from in normal use only when i file copy between them
real world no as a ssd is just so fast any way

unless you have 2 x m2 or m2 and ssd raid array

then copying to / from those slaughters a ssd

i have m2 and ssd and raided ssds

cant tell which i have booted from in normal use only when i file copy between them

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
For what she does their no reason to even get a M.2 drive she will never see a diference.
Usally the regular SATA SSD can be bought cheaper.
The only reason th get a PCI-E M.2 drive is if you do a ton of file transfers or have a very high end work PC and use it as a scratch drive.

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I hear you. But the case i've got (Luna-design - http://luna-design.org/en/) only has space for 1 2.5" drive) so i'm going to recycle on existing 500GB SSD (hynix ssd) as main storage, then uses a 256GB m.2 to run the machine. I think i will lean towards m.2 SATAIII drives. The faster m.2 drives appear to be wasted.

yes for most people a ssd/sata m2 is plenty fast they wont need pci-e x4 m2

once m2 drives drop a lot more in price and having 2 of them is more affordable then they will come into their own

file transfer/backups/imaging/cloning between 2 or 1 m2 and ssd raid is insanely fast

thats why in the beginning of m2 i got the only motherboard with 3 x m2 pci-e x4 slots

in my opinion they will slowly kill off 2.5 sata ssds much as those are replacing mechanical drives now