Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hi guys

I have currently my windows + my games on my Samsung 970 pro M.2. I am looking to expand my storage and was thinking to add an extra M.2, gen 4 (seagate firecuda 520 1tb).
My plan is to leave the windows (as will take a lot of time to format everything) on the Samsung (existing m.2) and transfer all my games to the new gen 4 m.2.

My questions are:
  1. Do I need to transfer the windows as well to the new gen 4 M.2 to benefit from the faster speeds?
  2. Or just I go for an extra gen 3 M.2 as the benefit may not be that substantial?

I am currently on an X570 board.

Thanks!

Solution
  1. No. OS on the fast drive or games on the fast drive. In reality, you'll see almost NO actual difference between the two drives. And no difference either way.
  2. Either way. 3.0 or 4.0....you'll see zero FPS difference, and almost zero actual level loading time. Fractions of a second.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. No. OS on the fast drive or games on the fast drive. In reality, you'll see almost NO actual difference between the two drives. And no difference either way.
  2. Either way. 3.0 or 4.0....you'll see zero FPS difference, and almost zero actual level loading time. Fractions of a second.

Reactions: Aliency
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so little real world gain that i'd stick to the cheaper 3.0 drivers for now. as the controllers get better and they reach truly better speeds than 3.0, then i could see the cost increase being worth it. but for now and what is available now, i don't see any real world difference to justify the price of the 4.0 drives.

Reactions: Aliency