Question M.2 PCIe Adapter for asus x88-g45 gaming

Aug 2, 2019
Hello,

I would like to know if M.2 PCIe Adapter will work for my old mobo asus x88-g45 gaming. If yes, how it will affect PCIE express 3.0 where I have an graphic card. I've read that it may affect performance of PCIE 3.0. How fast will be drive SSD NVMe with my motherboard? I would like to buy it when it will be faster to compare with standard SSD. I don't want to use it as a boot device I will use my currect SSD for OS and booting.

Thank you.

Last edited:
What are you planing to buy this for?

If its for gaming a standard SATA SSD is more then enough due to read/write which for games is mainly random.
If you are handling huge files such as graphic/video editing etc then a PCIe speed drive would be a better option since this would be more sequential

Aug 2, 2019
What are you planing to buy this for?

If its for gaming a standard SATA SSD is more then enough due to read/write which for games is mainly random.
If you are handling huge files such as graphic/video editing etc then a PCIe speed drive would be a better option since this would be more sequential

My SATA 3 drive has failed and M2 technology is new and better than typical SSD. I wanted to invest money the latest technology. I will upgrade my desktop in the short future but right now I need a storage.

My SATA 3 drive has failed and M2 technology is new and better than typical SSD. I wanted to invest money the latest technology. I will upgrade my desktop in the short future but right now I need a storage.

That's not true at all. M.2 is simply a form factor, nothing more. The actual SSD storage is the same regardless if its a 2.5 inch SSD or a M.2 drive. As I said you wont see any world benefit for gaming with a PCIe speed drive due to how read/write works. If your board natively supported M.2 then I would say anymore the cost difference is small so get which ever, but since you will need to buy a PCIe adapter it's not worth the cost unless you can actually benefit from the speed, which again for gaming you wont.

USAFRet

Titan
The difference you're looking for is SATA III vs NVMe.
Not "M.2". That is just the form factor.

Is this to be the OS drive, or a secondary drive?

Aug 2, 2019
That's not true at all. M.2 is simply a form factor, nothing more. The actual SSD storage is the same regardless if its a 2.5 inch SSD or a M.2 drive. As I said you wont see any world benefit for gaming with a PCIe speed drive due to how read/write works. If your board natively supported M.2 then I would say anymore the cost difference is small so get which ever, but since you will need to buy a PCIe adapter it's not worth the cost unless you can actually benefit from the speed, which again for gaming you wont.

Thank you for help. I will stick with a SSD for now.

USAFRet

Titan
Secondary drive. I use a SSD drive for OS
If you're planning on transferring this secondary NVMe drive over to a whole new build in the near future...yeah, maybe as a secondary drive in a PCIe slot adapter.

You probably won't notice much benefit vs a SATA III drive, but it will be there for the next system.

Of course, by the time you DO buy the next system, prices on whatever NVMe drive you buy today will probably be lower...;)

Reactions: jomask
Aug 2, 2019
If you're planning on transferring this secondary NVMe drive over to a whole new build in the near future...yeah, maybe as a secondary drive in a PCIe slot adapter.

You probably won't notice much benefit vs a SATA III drive, but it will be there for the next system.

Of course, by the time you DO buy the next system, prices on whatever NVMe drive you buy today will probably be lower...;)

I agree, Thank you for advice.

USAFRet

Titan
I recently put in a 1TB Intel 660p, in a PCIe slot adapter in my system.
In my normal workload...photography, CAD, some games...I honestly can't tell the difference vs all the other SATA III SSDs in it.

Beware the magic of OMG Faster!
Unless you're transferring large amounts of data back and forth between 2 of those NVMe drives...you won't see any real benefit.

TRENDING THREADS