Question M.2 PCIe Drive appears on Disk Manager but can't be formated...

Feb 3, 2021
Hi Guys, First question here...

I Have a Dell Optiplex 7040, with a Intel I5 6600...
I installed a new Crucial PCIe NVMe M.2 Drive...The Drive appears on Disk Manager but with the wrong size (is a 500 GB Disk) and I cannot format the Drive...Below image links:

DISK MANAGER
https://pasteboard.co/JMFWJUh.png

DEVICE MANAGER
https://pasteboard.co/JMFY55a.png

I need help for Win to "see" the drive correctly so I can format and use it...
Really appreciate your help...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Prior to dropping the PCIe SSD, did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS update for your prebuilt system? From what I can gather, the prebuilt comes with options for a 512GB SSD as the max on the PCIe slot, meaning that might be a physical limit to drive compatibility but then again, there are times I've been proven wrong.

You might want to see if BIOS updates are pending(gradually working your way to the latest if there are a number of them pending) then see if your OS needs updating as well(we're on version 20H2 for Windows 10 at the time of writing) and then see if you have Intel RST installed.

Feb 3, 2021

Prior to dropping the PCIe SSD, did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS update for your prebuilt system? From what I can gather, the prebuilt comes with options for a 512GB SSD as the max on the PCIe slot, meaning that might be a physical limit to drive compatibility but then again, there are times I've been proven wrong.

You might want to see if BIOS updates are pending(gradually working your way to the latest if there are a number of them pending) then see if your OS needs updating as well(we're on version 20H2 for Windows 10 at the time of writing) and then see if you have Intel RST installed.

The SSD is 500 GB so is Below the potential 512 GB that you mentioned...I will Update my Windows if necessary...I will do a google search, but meanwhile, but does anybody know how to check if my Bios is the latest version available?...

Plus, are there any options before I do this?...I have never updated a Bios before, and I know there will be certain challenges and risks with that option too...

Finally, what is Intel RST? and do I needed it to run this Drive on this computer?

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, I have update Windows and my Bios to the latest version with no luck...it is as before...the disk appears on Disk Manager, but I cannot format it...and it appear as a 1 MB Disk, while the drive being really a 500 GB Disk...

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Feb 3, 2021
The SSD is 500 GB so is Below the potential 512 GB that you mentioned...I will Update my Windows if necessary...I will do a google search, but meanwhile, but does anybody know how to check if my Bios is the latest version available?...

Plus, are there any options before I do this?...I have never updated a Bios before, and I know there will be certain challenges and risks with that option too...

Finally, what is Intel RST? and do I needed it to run this Drive on this computer?

Hi Lutfij...I updated The Bios and Win 10, and istalled 2 drivers related to RST technology...Initially I installed the one specific for Dell Machines...because that didnt work, Installed the one more generic fron Intel...se image below...Still no luck...same behavior as originally showed...do you think maybe the drive is defective?

https://pasteboard.co/JMIJUjc.png