[SOLVED] m.2 PCIe SSD and GPU with 16 PCIe lanes?

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016
I recently built a new rig and my new m/b has a M.2 slot which I never had before and I'm planning to get a 1TB M.2 SSD to replace by 120GB sata SSD and 1TB HDD. While I was setting everything up in BIOS, I noticed theres an option to switch the M.2 between PCIe and SATA. I assume using PCIe is faster than sata. Now, my CPU is i5 9400f which has 16 PCIe lanes, will I see performance decrease on my RTX 2060 because I switch M.2 to PCIe which will require 4 lanes and put my card to x8? I assume that's how it works. I'm new to this whole M.2 thing so let me know, thanks.

Solution
The Sabrent Rocket is a pcie4.0 NVMe drive, and there's only a few of those around as they are brand new and pcie4.0 isn't supported on any motherboard except Amd X570. They use the same chips, same controllers, so any pcie4.0 is the same except for the included heatsink, they do run quite hot.

Don't worry about the bios switch. If you are running an NVMe in that slot, it'll be NVMe, or you can use a Sata3 drive instead.

Your best option for a more budget NVMe would be something like the Crucial P1 1Tb, or for a slightly better drive the Samsung 970 plus.

SanDisk was bought out. It's now a continued brand of WD, but I dunno if any changes were made like most companies do to save a few $ per unit.

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016
That switches the port protocol. Not the actual physical drive you have.
A SATA M.2 won't magically run at NVMe speed.

So which drive is it?
I haven't bought the drive yet, I was looking at drives like "Sabrent 1TB Rocket" or any 1TB M.2 drive from a company that I heard of before (little bit sketched out to get a drive from Chinese brands like Vaseky)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Sabrent Rocket is a pcie4.0 NVMe drive, and there's only a few of those around as they are brand new and pcie4.0 isn't supported on any motherboard except Amd X570. They use the same chips, same controllers, so any pcie4.0 is the same except for the included heatsink, they do run quite hot.

Don't worry about the bios switch. If you are running an NVMe in that slot, it'll be NVMe, or you can use a Sata3 drive instead.

Your best option for a more budget NVMe would be something like the Crucial P1 1Tb, or for a slightly better drive the Samsung 970 plus.

SanDisk was bought out. It's now a continued brand of WD, but I dunno if any changes were made like most companies do to save a few $ per unit.

Solution

Xenone

Reputable
May 19, 2016

Thanks for the detailed reponse, I am mainly concerned about the PCIe lanes situation, my i5 9400f only has 16 and I'm running a RTX 2060. NVMe uses 4 lanes so I assume that will force the GPU to x8 from x16. I'm new to the whole M.2 so I'm only saying/thinking what makes sense to me.

What about Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB? They seem to be priced fairly, then I'm only left with the question if I use it with my system.
That ssd is as good as you can buy.
Not only is it high quality with a 5 year warranty, but it is also one of the highest performing pcie drives.
Samsung has a optimized pcie driver which you should also install.

No problem using it in your system.
enjoy.

Jan 27, 2020
I recently built a new rig and my new m/b has a M.2 slot which I never had before and I'm planning to get a 1TB M.2 SSD to replace by 120GB sata SSD and 1TB HDD. While I was setting everything up in BIOS, I noticed theres an option to switch the M.2 between PCIe and SATA. I assume using PCIe is faster than sata. Now, my CPU is i5 9400f which has 16 PCIe lanes, will I see performance decrease on my RTX 2060 because I switch M.2 to PCIe which will require 4 lanes and put my card to x8? I assume that's how it works. I'm new to this whole M.2 thing so let me know, thanks.

No. your M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4) has direct lanes to the CPU and is the fastest I/O.
SATA is managed with fewer lanes and via PCH controller (Chipset) which manages all and can have i.e. 24