Question M.2 PCIe SSD recognised in Windows but not in BIOS

PilotPlangy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Laptop: Lenovo V310 15ISK (2016 model)
SSD: Transcend M.2 PCIe 220S (Gen3 x 4 interface)

The plan was to create Windows 10 recovery key using HDD then remove the HDD entirely, install SSD and install windows onto SSD with recovery key.
This all went without a hitch until after the recovery was done, I removed the USB recovery key and it couldn't boot into windows.. I discovered the BIOS isn't seeing the SSD at all.

So I reinstalled the HDD (with the SSD still installed), booted back into windows and discovered the SSD is showing in "disk management" and the recovery process worked too as I can see the usual windows files you'd expect on a C drive.
As far as windows is concerned the SSD is there but BIOS is blind to it. Ive updated BIOS with the latest verion from Lenovo website with no luck.

The SSD did show in BIOS twice while trouble shooting but as I set it as primary boot device and restarted it disappeared again..

Any ideas?

popatim

Titan
So you went from a sata drive to an NVME?

What format is the Sata drive in? If it's MBR then you will need to convert it to GPT to be able to boot from NVME.
NVME also requires that you change the bios to UEFI mode if it is Legacy and then you need to set the boot device to UEFI/NVME also

PilotPlangy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Yep exactly

The HDD format will be standard MBR I'm guessing. I didnt change anything.

If I change the HDD format from MBR to GPT wouldnt that just remove the ability to boot from it anymore? I wouldn't want to do this until the SSD is working.

BIOS is UEFI as standard, I did try adjusting to legacy but with no result.

If the BIOS is set to UEFI how do I ensure the NVME drive is also set to UEFI?

TRENDING THREADS