[SOLVED] M.2 population

Jul 25, 2021
I am building a new pc. The motherboard is a MSI Z590-A Pro with 3 m.2 slots. I will be using an Intel i7-11700K CPU. I think that I want to use the first m.2 for a Samsung 980 pro to hold my programs. The second m.2 for an Intel Optain 32gb and the third slot for a Samsung 860 EVO for my personal files. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Solution
make sure to check up in the manual what types of M.2 are supported and what speeds for each slot.

any other drives connected can also be affected by populating M.2 slots.
some SATA ports may be disabled, speeds may be reduced, etc.
the third slot for a Samsung 860 EVO for my personal files.
you will see no difference in performance using an M.2 for personal storage vs any nice SATA III 3.5" SSD.
for the same price or less you can usually find a much larger SSD.
make sure to check up in the manual what types of M.2 are supported and what speeds for each slot.

any other drives connected can also be affected by populating M.2 slots.
some SATA ports may be disabled, speeds may be reduced, etc.
the third slot for a Samsung 860 EVO for my personal files.
you will see no difference in performance using an M.2 for personal storage vs any nice SATA III 3.5" SSD.
for the same price or less you can usually find a much larger SSD.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I am building a new pc. The motherboard is a MSI Z590-A Pro with 3 m.2 slots. I will be using an Intel i7-11700K CPU. I think that I want to use the first m.2 for a Samsung 980 pro to hold my programs. The second m.2 for an Intel Optain 32gb and the third slot for a Samsung 860 EVO for my personal files. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Ignore the Optane thing completely.

It has NO purpose married with solid state drives.

Like was said, if ya fill all the slots, your gonna lose a lot a sata ports. And yeah, although Optane is awesome, the 32gb one is a 2x NVME and is overall only good for supporting big sata ssds or HDs. If you need one for a scratch/media/cache drive, get at least the 118GB version. I use that one in one of my rigs. As for not seeing a difference between NVME and sata, I have to disagree. It really depends on what you do with your system. I'm about ready to get rig of my last sata ssd for another NVME drive, because I waiting that much.

TRENDING THREADS