[SOLVED] M.2 Recognized as HDD until HDD is plugged in

Wolf_Knight

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
I recently got a new CPU, along with an Inland 1 Terabyte NVME SSD. I Installed both, and the CPU installation was no problem. The NVME chip, however, has been a problem.

I was trying to move my windows from my WD Black 1 terabyte HDD to the NVME SSD using Macrium Reflect, and managed to clone all the files over. However, when i attempt to boot from the SSD with the HDD unplugged, the SSD is recognized as the HDD by windows (has the HDD's volume label and files.) When I plug the HDD back in, however, the HDD's files are shifted back to the WD Black and the SSD's Volume suddenly appears in windows. I haven't got a clue what to do.

I've backed up all the files I need to now and I want to wipe both drives, make the SSD my boot drive, and make the HDD a storage drive, but when trying to format the HDD, I get an error saying that windows is running from this drive. I'm at a total loss at this point.
Any Ideas?

Solution
After clean installing Windows on the SSD, should I wipe the HDD and then transfer my files back on to it?

Also, if I have Windows 10 Pro on the HDD, do I need to clean install the same version of windows, or should I just install Windows 10 Home?
I would check you backed up everything you want then just wipe/format the HDD.
You could if you wanted to, have a dual boot situation but not necessary. Stick with Windows 10 pro, latest version 1903 and available from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
which allows you to update or create a clean installation media.

You can drag and drop your backup files to your SSD however your program files should be freshly installed to maintain registry...
Something has gone wrong with the cloning.
Best is to Wipe clean/format the SSD and do a clean OS install on the SSD. Leave the HDD out of the loop for now.
Clean install using the Windows ISO file from a USB. Prioritize the USB in Bios to start the Installation and when complete then prioritize the SSD to boot from. Add the HDD later.

Wolf_Knight

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
Something has gone wrong with the cloning.
Best is to Wipe clean/format the SSD and do a clean OS install on the SSD. Leave the HDD out of the loop for now.
Clean install using the Windows ISO file from a USB. Prioritize the USB in Bios to start the Installation and when complete then prioritize the SSD to boot from. Add the HDD later.

After clean installing Windows on the SSD, should I wipe the HDD and then transfer my files back on to it?

Also, if I have Windows 10 Pro on the HDD, do I need to clewan install the same version of windows, or should I just install Windows 10 Home?

Also, if I have Windows 10 Pro on the HDD, do I need to clean install the same version of windows, or should I just install Windows 10 Home?
I would check you backed up everything you want then just wipe/format the HDD.
You could if you wanted to, have a dual boot situation but not necessary. Stick with Windows 10 pro, latest version 1903 and available from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
which allows you to update or create a clean installation media.

You can drag and drop your backup files to your SSD however your program files should be freshly installed to maintain registry integrity and best kept on the HDD.

Last edited:
Solution