Question M.2 recognized by windows but not bios

Jun 25, 2019
I have a Samsung 970evo 500gb connected to my motherboard via adapter which utilizes a sata cable and a pci slot.
I have another hard drive connected which until now has been my os drive that I boot from. I tried clean installing windows 10 via usb onto my m.2, but every time it comes to the step in which the computer restarts, I am unable to boot to the m.2.
Have tried unplugging all other drives, updating bios, changing cables, but nothing seems to work.

Motherboard: Gigabyte z77 D3h
bios version F22

upon booting to my old hard drive, the m.2 is discoverable through disk management and this pc.
What should I do to get my bios to recognize the drive as bootable?

Gigabyte supports NVMe on many Intel Series 9 Chipset motherboards with a BIOS update. Gigabyte has no plans to offer NVMe support on legacy Series 8 or Series 7 Chipset motherboards such as the Z77 Chipset Z77X-UD3H.

You can't. It requires hardware level instruction support in the BIOS and that board doesn't have it. Possibly you might be able to find something at BIOSmods, but it's unlikely since it's doubtful there is much demand for somebody to make the effort to create it in the first place.

If you want to boot from M.2 my advice would be to upgrade the platform. As a secondary storage device, you can use it fine. To boot from, not so much.

Reactions: RohBro20