M.2 recognized in BIOS but won't give option to boot into it.

WangGang

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Currently running an ASUS G501JW w/ a 1TB HGST HDD and a WD Blue m.2 ssd. My laptop can detect the drive in BIOS and windows, but the drive won't show up in boot menu, with or without CSM enabled. What's going on?

Solution

If system is set to boot into UEFI mode, only devices with bootloader present will show up in boot menu.
If there's no OS installed on SSD, it will not show up.

Also it may be necessary to specify that M.2 has to operate in sata mode in BIOS.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
My guess is that your BIOS was never, and will never, allow you to boot from the m.2. I had the same problem with my Dell XPS8920. Contact ASUS tech support for the definitive answer, but don't expect to be happy.

WangGang

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Can't be. The drive isn't NVMe and both windows and the BIOS recognizes it. I will try contacting ASUS support though.

If system is set to boot into UEFI mode, only devices with bootloader present will show up in boot menu.
If there's no OS installed on SSD, it will not show up.

Also it may be necessary to specify that M.2 has to operate in sata mode in BIOS.

Solution

WangGang

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Lol yea just figured that out. Didn't know I had to clone the EFI partition. Thanks anyways.