[SOLVED] M.2 Sata III SSD inside the WWAN Slot of the Lenovo P50s

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I have the Lenovo P50s laptop (type 20FL). My question relates to the WWAN port inside of the laptop. I have read that people have used an 2242 M.2 Sata SSD inside the WWAN port of their laptops. I saw a post on Reddit that mentions this on the P50s, but it sounds like it is not compatible. However, one user thinks that "the release that comes in March-April does have it."

I am a bit confused by the P50s Specifications sheet. Under Storage, it mentions "Some: SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s (e.g. xxxG SSD PCIe NVMe)." Does that mean that it may have a slot dedicated to a SSD/NVMe drive?

How can it be determined that it will or will not work before purchasing a 2242 M.2 Sata SSD? I plan to open up my computer, but I don't think that it will resolve my question unless I have a M.2 SSD to test with it.

(Note: I do plan to replace the HDD with a 2.5 inch SSD, but would like a boot drive and a storage drive)

Solution
hi there~

I recently made a post regarding this very issue not too long ago on Reddit.

hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge, as I'm pretty good with these machines~
To figure out what the M.2 slot is meant to be used for, check the keying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

M.2 slots meant for storage either have the B, M, or B+M keys. SATA drives can fit in any of these, NVMe can only be installed in M-keyed slots.. Slots meant for Wi-Fi adapters and whatnot usually have A and E keys. A and E keyed slots do not have provisions for SATA, though they do accept PCIe x1 devices.

May 20, 2021
hi there~

hope this helps, if you have any other questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge, as I'm pretty good with these machines~

Solution

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
hi there~

From the one answer on that Reddit post, it looks like it isn’t possible. I have been looking into 2.5” SSDs and will probably get one of those instead.

May 20, 2021
And you will see NO performance difference.
to me the greater benefit is having a secondary storage option. it's ridiculous that they (Lenovo, RE: ThinkPads) limited most of their 6th generation Intel Core lineup to only have a 2.5" option (except the 11e which only has an m.2 option, oddly enough). most of my machines have at least an SSD +HDD configuration, the SSD serving to be the boot drive & the HDD hosting my page file, programs w10 apps and personals - relieving the SSD otherwise from unnecessary stress.

USAFRet

Titan
to me the greater benefit is having a secondary storage option. it's ridiculous that they (Lenovo, RE: ThinkPads) limited most of their 6th generation Intel Core lineup to only have a 2.5" option (except the 11e which only has an m.2 option, oddly enough). most of my machines have at least an SSD +HDD configuration, the SSD serving to be the boot drive & the HDD hosting my page file, programs w10 apps and personals - relieving the SSD otherwise from unnecessary stress.
And many systems are SSD only. Be it laptops or desktop. Like mine.
No need to relieve the SSD of "stress".